1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Armageddon at ESPN today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Oct 21, 2015.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

There is ZERO TV ads bought based on bars and restaurant viewing.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Notice in my post that I never claimed there were.

To expand on your "point," though: Even if everyone younger than say, 40, is a cable-cutter, you would still have decades of viewership from the over-40 crowd. The ad demographic would change considerably, although we already have tons of ads for the geriatric crowd.

TV isn't dying off any time soon. Of course, I realize we're at a site where people insist McDonald's is in its final days, based on God-knows-what or someone's personal diarrhea episode.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not Even Community Could Save Yahoo’s TV Dreams

Upshot - looks like Yahoo joining the TV producers field won't be a long-term thing. Netscape is in a good spot, Hulu as well. and the time may come where we simply "subscribe" to individual channels. I do wonder though how that will work. Even the most popular scripted shows on basic cable maybe get 10 million viewers. If all 10 million ponied up $10 a month that's $100 million for operating costs and most shows cost up to $20-30-40 million for a season of 13 episodes of one show and you have 40 more weeks to program.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I believe the London NFL game Sunday is airing on Yahoo TV.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Correct, but likely because it's a shitty game no one wants to watch anyway.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I cut the cord over four years ago. Don't miss it a bit. But my wallet sure is fatter.

7. Two years now with cord cut. And I'm over 40.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I just subscribed to Amazon Prime and bought a Fire Stick. Makes me think I should cut the cord, too.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

We cut the cord and bought two Rokus (Roki?). Subscribe to Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix, and we're still saving $70 or so a month. And I don't remember the last time I watched ESPN, and I don't miss it a bit.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I've stopped watching ESPN also. Too many talking heads who are idiots.

I get all the info I need right here at sj.com

11. Doc Holliday

The first four years all I had was Netflix and Roku, saved about $4,000 total (or $1,000 annually) by cutting cable. I added SlingTV eight weeks ago. Still saving $750 annually.

12. Doc Holliday

I'm closer to 50 than 40.

Draft saved Draft deleted