1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Armageddon at ESPN today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Gus also has now posted a column. It is here: Gus Stuff: ESPN - Thanks for the memories

wicked likes this.
  2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Thanks for the IJAG info, MileHigh.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

She hasn't been here, either.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What a non sequitir. ESPN, which has contracts with all those sports for billions of dollars of rights fees, has cut a batch of bodies. You know what this reminds me of? Baseball. The teams are going to be falling over themselves to sign a hack like Johnny Cueto for 25 million a year for five years and yet they'll send home a grounds crew early to save a few bucks from minimum wage type workers. Can someone explain how ESPN can throw billions for rights fees and has to cut normal folk who are just trying to put food on the table?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It reminds me of America.

Tweener and BDC99 like this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You mean the $1.9 billion they pay to the NFL annually?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/s...xtends-deal-with-nfl-for-15-billion.html?_r=0

Divide by the number of games (add a playoff game and an occasional Super Bowl).

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Between ratings and cord-cutters, ESPN is in a tough spot, they need the rights to justify the price, but if the price is too high and people drop cable they lose advertising base. Do they drop the rate they are asking? I don't think they get where they need to be by cutting staff. I've always wondered why ESPN didn't leverage itself better. They overpay on rights fees routinely. Leagues need to be on ESPN and they could use their heft to move the rights fees market.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Someone's gonna tell us TV is DEAD pretty soon.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Rock 'n' roll is dead,
    Long live rock.

12. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

TV will not be dead for a long time.

Unless there is some new innovation in the near future, there will at the very least be TVs drawing eyes at bars, restaurants, etc.

This is where ESPN's current programming, largely consisting of navel-gazers sitting around a desk and trying desperately to sound smart, is a dismal failure. That type of offering is destined to fail -- hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted