1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arks under construction in Houston

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Apr 18, 2016.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The rain fall has been nuts. So have the fire ants and copperheads floating down city streets.

Anyone on SI living there? How are things going?

And someone finally made it home.

[​IMG]

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What the fuck IS that?

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Another example of why a wall needs to be built.

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Isn't his the second 40-days-40-nights flooding in Houston in six months or so? Very sad.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My Montana-bred, California-raised wife called in a "mild concern" on her way into work yesterday in San Antonio, reporting that it was raining so hard and flooding so badly, steam was coming off people's engines. "There is so much water in the streets, there are waves with whitecaps" she reported.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My dad and some of my extended family lives out there. It's crazy.

This also happened last Memorial Day weekend, when I was out there visiting. My dad lives a little southwest of the city, so they avoided the worst of it.

But when you're flat as a tabletop and surrounded by water on all four sides between rivers, lakes, bayous, bays and the Gulf of Mexico, this sort of thing happens from time-to-time.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It especially happens if you have enough rain between midnight and ten a.m. to break the single day record with fourteen hours yet to go.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

It was indeed another interesting day in the city. Combine that bitch Ma Nature and completely incompetent city administration and you have a wonderful mix of disaster. But hey, no matter what comes our way --

[​IMG]

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I have the luck of going there later this week; looks like the forecast is the worst is over.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You'll be fine. Just ignore any bodies you may see in the underpasses. And, ummmm, don't park in an underground garage. I'm just sayin'.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's actually under construction in Kentucky, and it's not without controversy:

Draft saved Draft deleted