1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arkansas Democrat-Gazette: Anybody want to work just 32 hours per week?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 13, 2009.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Anyone else just want to call unmitigated bullshit?

OK, I will.

2. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Well, it's either bullshit or he's an idiot for working that much. I don't see any other options.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Why are we arguing this? We're talking about a profession laying off people left and right and is clueless about the value of sports writers. I want to hear from the others who work 7 days a week 8 to 10 hours a day. They are out there. I am one of them. What's the big deal? Yes it sucks. I mean we're talking about good people getting laid off and you are questioning whether I work 56 to 70 a week? Why.

4. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Well, if you're willing to work two shifts for the price of one, sending a message to managers that less people are needed, you may very well be part of the problem.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Some people who want to sacrifice themselves upon the (choose your religious symbol) of journalism are a dime a dozen on this board, apparently.

Just glad there's others like me who aren't.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

10 hours a day, 7 days a week. I just don't buy it.

And I worked as the SE in a 3-man shop and often worked six days a week, including a 10-11 hour Saturday shift. But I rarely, rarely came close to touching 70. Maybe 50-55 on occasion. But not 70.

And if you are, you should contact the local labor board and report your employer.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Frederick, here's an honest question/suggestion:

If you are willing to work 70 hours a week, why don't you just work a second part-time job for 20-30 hours a week on top of your 40-hour a week newspaper job?

That way, when the newspaper wants you to work more, you tell them you can't, because you have the other job. For the amount of hours you say you're putting in, you might as well work another job and get paid for it.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Fredrick is one of those people who will not be happy unless he has a bitch. And improving his lot in life removes his built-in bitch.

(If Fredrick ever gets off his one note, I'll be very fair to him. Until then, he deserves whatever he gets.)

9. satchmo

satchmo Member

The best was when I worked at a shop that used a little-known rule when it came to overtime. Instead of the usual time and a half, you didn't even have to be paid your regular hourly rate for overtime. There were times when we'd turn in 60 hours and for the 20 of overtime, we'd get paid like $1.85 an hour. Apparently it was an old labor law that dated back to the days when the Vanderbilts and similar overlords ruled the earth.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Newspapers under 4,000 circ which aren't part of a chain don't have to pay overtime.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why is that? Don't labor laws apply to hourly employees there?

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/screen75.asp

Draft saved Draft deleted