1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arkansas Democrat-Gazette: Anybody want to work just 32 hours per week?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 13, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just because, I checked the Democrat's website and it lists 32 people on the sports staff. It actually lists 36, but I took out the names of people laidoff.
    This is still a paper that lists a total of 15 writers — two people covering recruiting!?!? — on beats or as GAs.
    Yeah, it sucks but when the P-I shutdown, they had a department of 28 people.

2. satchmo

satchmo Member

You're right. I'll send them an email and ask if they can let a few more go, so you can feel better. Asshole.

3. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Last I checked, suck still sucks.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The usual sacred cows will continue to be staffed: Pulaski Academy, CAC, LR Christian, and in NWA, Shiloh. They'll throw the publics a bone by covering Bryant. Nothing to see here.

5. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

That's just so wrong. The public schools coverage is still the big dog. And if you check back during high school playoffs in any sport over the past few years, Pulaski Academy, LR Christian, Shiloh Christian and CAC are usually in championship contention. I don't think most sports staffs focus on eliminated schools. Maybe where you are.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Point.

Second Thoughts' head.

7. Doctor Seuss

Doctor Seuss New Member

I knew I ilked you Satchmo. And it's not just because you have a kooky name.

8. ArkansasGuy

ArkansasGuy New Member

Comparing the size of sports departments doesn't make somebody an asshole. satchmo needs to realize not everybody here is emotionally invested like he is. Football_Bat's question about who will cover what missed an important beat. Who gets to cover the Wally Hall Invitational slowpitch softball tournament?

Draft saved Draft deleted