1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ark. man handcuffed in patrol car, shot in back of head. Autopsy says suicide.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 20, 2012.

1. This ...
    If a cop wants to kill a guy and NOT have it look like a murder, having a handcuffed man shot in the backseat of a squad car isn't the best course of action.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And yet the medical examiner didn't test his hands for gunshot residue because that isn't standard procedure for suicides, which is an indication that they were working under the assumption all along that what the cops told them was 100 percent truth.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Come on. Stop being willfully ignorant. Because I read the same story as you, I learned it's also not standard procedure for homicides:

They even give a reason, and it's not "Because we want to help out murdering racist pig cops." The reason they give is, "because it doesn't prove anything."

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ah, I misread. My bad.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Sorry to be snarky. It's a strange case, for sure, and maybe something horrible did happen. But no one knows and "the police shot a defenseless guy in the backseat of a squad car" is as hard, maybe harder, to believe as any other scenario being proposed. That causes me to roll my eyes a bit at the hinting and whatnot going on here.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If the cops actually did search him twice and not find a gun or a cellphone I guess it's possible the guy did get his hands on the gun somehow and these two clowns accidentally triggered it while they were trying to get it away from him.

Based on what's been reported they don't strike me as the valedictorians of their graduating class at the Jonesboro Police Academy.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

No, it is hard to believe. I agree. That's why no one's calling that yet.

But what's harder to believe, for me, is that the cops are all 100% innocent and the audio and video that would exonerate them just happened to malfunction at that one crucial moment in time; and the medical examiner who could have exonerated them with a thorough and believable autopsy and report done jointly with an outside independent examiner, failed at that. I mean, that would make these the unluckiest cops in history. Either that, or something's being covered up.

Draft saved Draft deleted