1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ark. man handcuffed in patrol car, shot in back of head. Autopsy says suicide.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Let's say what the cops say is all true.

The fact that they could search a guy twice and decided to arrest him because they found a baggie of pot on him and completely ignored the fact that he was carrying a gun is so American.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They apparently missed his cellphone too.

3. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

This story just keeps getting more and more curious. I wonder if they ever will get the truth out about what really happened.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Does the story say whether his arms were cuffed behind his body or in front?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

6. JosephC.Myers

In that case, it makes it even more surprising that he was able to get his hands free.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Somebody should fry for this one.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It seems police are more than happy to respond to FOIA requests with irrelevant information (before and after videos) or witness statements that aid the police's case. What they will not do is release video that might show the shooting.

Police previously released video recorded from dashboard cameras the night of the shooting, but the footage didn't appear to show when officers found Carter slumped over and bleeding in the backseat of a patrol car as described in a police report.

Police said there were problems with the audio and video that explain the absence of a gunshot or noise on the recordings.

Irwin, Carter's family's lawyer, didn't buy that explanation.

"These things are crystal clear from a reception standpoint and from a functioning standpoint," he said. "And then they just malfunction for three minutes when this young man lost his life? I am just not ready to accept that as the answer."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/chavis-carter-case-girlfriend_n_1823408.html

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Could the "problem" be that it shows a cop shooting the guy?

10. JosephC.Myers

Perhaps so. Wouldn't be the first time cops have conveniently had malfunctioning video and audio equipment.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm not fan of police. I also don't think they go around blasting handcuffed guys in the back of squad cars.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong in this case, but that's where I start.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It could have been an honest mistake.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted