1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ark. man handcuffed in patrol car, shot in back of head. Autopsy says suicide.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 20, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Things that make you go hmmmm ...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-08-20/Chavis-Carter-suicide-handcuffed/57163400/1

Police have released video from before and after the death. But nothing regarding the actual shooting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/18/police-release-video-in-chavis-carter-suicide-case_n_1800842.html

Officers frisked him twice after a traffic stop and found a small amount of marijuana but no gun. They now say he was able to conceal the gun somewhere where they couldn't find it, yet it remained within his reach while he was in handcuffs.

FBI monitoring. Stay tuned.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah I don't know what to think about this one. Stay tuned, indeed.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sounds real suspicious to me.

4. jaydaum

jaydaum Member

Brace yourself LongTime... I am sympatico with you on this one.

I find this profoundly disturbing. Hard to imagine a scenario where the officers are not culpable on some level, if nothing else, for two poorly executed searches. This sure doesn't look good and raises a heck of a lot of questions. Hmmmmm....

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I do.

6. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

I can not wait until you enlighten the rest of us. CAN NOT WAIT!!!

7. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Very sketchy sounding here. I made sure to post on this thread so I could keep updated.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

If you believe that, I've got some swamp land for sale that I'm calling beach front property.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Do tell.

10. turski7

turski7 Member

Arms cuffed behind his back and he still put the weapon to his own head? Must have been real flexible. Good ol' boy club must be working overtime on this one. Scary.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe he was a terrorist.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Police put out a video showing that it is actually very possible to kill yourself while handcuffed in the back of a car. The problem is, just how likely is it that this person actually did kill himself and if so, how did police miss that he had a weapon? Still quite a few questions.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/15/police-reenact-handcuffed-mans-death/?iref=allsearch

Draft saved Draft deleted