1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ark. Ballot Initiative: Only Straight Married Couples Can Be Foster Parents

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Oct 20, 2008.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I found this just a few graphs down from the story link concerning the Arkansas TV reporter who was attacked last night:

Religious Right is in support of this: Ballot initiative in Arkansas would make it illegal for gays or straight unmarried couples living together to serve as foster parents. In short, if this law passes, only heterosexual married couples need apply.

http://nwaonline.com/articles/2008/10/19/news/101908azgayparenting.txt

My opinion: Not every married couple is a stable, God-fearing, church-going, Christian one. I wonder how long it will be before they come out with an initiative saying non-Christians need not apply (It is the Bible belt, after all).

http://nwaonline.com/articles/2008/10/19/news/101908azgayparenting.txt

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: Ark. Ballot Initiative: Only Straight Married Couples Can Be Foster Parents

Mississippi, Florida and Utah already have laws like that on the books.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The state's largest newspaper also editorialized that it was okay for the state to discriminate as long as gay couples weren't able to get kids.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Pretty pathetic...

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Just so I understand, in this state two fucked up hetero people can have a kid, but a gay couple in a loving committed relationship can't be parents? Wow, that's just unreal.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

You don't want the poor, unsuspecting child to catch Teh Gay, do ya?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What about Italians?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sadly, this is a growing front in the war against the "Gay Agenda."

I wonder what would happen if a post-op transsexual was legally married and then that couple tried to adopt. Would it be allowed or would heads explode among proponents of this bill?

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Luckily orphanages are much better place for children than a real home where someone might love them.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

With this in mind, isn't it still the case that orphanages and state agencies are still struggling to find foster families for children?

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

That's certainly my understanding, GB. Thus, even on simply a practical level, mandates such as this one are patently foolish.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

fixed

Draft saved Draft deleted