1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arizona, site of next Super Bowl, sends anti-gay bill to governor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 23, 2014.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Supporters of the bill harp on the business owner's right to refuse service based on religion.

Far be it from me to agree with Colin Cowherd but he said it best this morning: You can be against gays all day but once you apply for a business license, you are bound by applicable laws, particularly anti-discrimination laws. Don't want to be open on Sunday? That's fine, because you're shutting your doors to EVERYone. But you can't pick and choose who you serve.

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

When you own a business, you are likely going to deal with people who hold differing political viewpoints from you... and it's very likely you'll do business with someone whose viewpoints you are very much aware of... and that you might even the person is off his rocker with said viewpoints.

The First Amendment protects one's political viewpoints.

But nobody in their right mind would say they should be able to refuse to do business with the person whose political viewpoints differ from the business owner's.

The point? That invoking the First Amendment as it pertains to religion, when it comes to who you do or don't deal with in your business, is just as ridiculous.

Providing services to somebody whose views or practices differ from yours does not equal endorsing them. It's a business transaction, no more, no less. View it that way or don't bother running a business.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Seems a little odd and convenient that Brucie Boy's alter ego pops on as soon as a member of Gamma Alpha Upsilon becomes newsworthy.

Too odd and too convenient.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Last I knew, there was a right to freedom of religion. I don't find a right to have someone bake you a cake in the Constitution. So, basically, the government is exercising its monopoly on violence to squash an actual right in the Constitution to protect something that's not a right in the Constitution.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think a problem is how people throw around the word "rights" to apply to everything they want to be codified with a law. A law is not a right.

Rights themselves can't conflict with each other, the way you said. ... because they are rights. A right is an entitlement. It is something that is owed to you. Rights are abstract things, but to the extent that we do have rights, they don't change based on social mores or whims.

Societally, we can make a choice. We can deem it a right to be served by businesses without discrimination based on sexual orientation (and other anti-discrimination categories, too, such as race, religion, etc. that are encompassed in a right).

This makes perfect sense to me. ... if we were to go with my notions of what are rights. Rights are there to protect minorities from majorities who want to impose their will on them. Rights are INCLUSIVE -- they apply to everyone equally and are there to protect people, NOT to exclude different groups.

On the other side of that choice, in this instance, you have a group that wants to exclude others.

Fine, if that is who you are.

But trying to claim it is a "right," makes no sense to me. At best, what they want can be a law. Laws tell you, "You can't do this." Or "You have to do this." But it isn't a "right." A right is something that is absolute and can't be changed or taken away based on changing social mores - the way a law can be.

If not being discriminated against *is* a right. ... you can't have a man made law (a law that codifies discrimination, in this case) that violates that right.

So to me this isn't about rights conflicting. It's a question of what is a right.

Is it a right NOT to be a discriminated against based on sexual orientation? It's at the heart of the question.

Personally, I think something like that is the essence of what is a right -- which should be there to protect minorities and allow them to live freely in a world that tries to give them an even playing field.

If it is a right. ... you can't have groups like this that want to discriminate against people getting laws passed that violate that right.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If the NRA or Fox News or MSNBC asked some of you to do some writing for them, or they tried to hire a company you own to do some work, I think many of us would say "fuck them, I cannot swallow vomit that fast." So I am actually sort of torn on this. If you own a company, I guess you do have a choice of who you can and cannot serve, as prohibitive to your business model as it seems, this is still a free country. And if you are an employee who chooses not to do this work, I would start updating the resume ASAP.

If you own a business you should be able to choose who you work for and who you don't. I guess that includes the decisions of cavemen companies, but so be it.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. As a private individual or corporation, you have the right to discriminate against anyone you damn well please, for any reason or no reason. Otherwise, I'd have plenty of lawsuit ammo.

8. The Big Ragu

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 says otherwise. There are a bunch of state laws, and Federal laws I don't know offhand that say otherwise, too.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I try to simplify things for the less bright here. It appears I didn't simplify it enough for you.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Tony, we do have freedom of religion, but that doesn't give you the right to do anything you want in religion's name. A "neutral law of general applicability" still would apply - for example, you would not be able to use heroin in some religious ceremony. This is because it is illegal for reasons unrelated to religion.

That said, sexual orientation is not a protected trait under the Constitution. Right now, only race and gender are. But, yes, state laws fill the gap in a lot of cases. Even when the Supreme Court shoots down gay marriage bans, most do not believe it will do so by making gays a new protected class.

11. The Big Ragu

Dick's right. I have no idea why that is so difficult for some people. If I have a religion that directs me to sacrifice humans, for example, it ain't getting me off from a murder charge because of. ... "religious freedom."

Religious freedom as a "right," has only ever meant the freedom to practice any religion you want. It doesn't mean religious practice trumps the laws we democratically pass.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yesterday the Supreme Court let stand a state supreme court ruling that a wedding photographer violated New Mexico's Human Rights Act by refusing to photograph a same-sex ceremony.

http://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-rejects-appeal-over-gay-bias-case-181423954--politics.html

Draft saved Draft deleted