1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arizona, site of next Super Bowl, sends anti-gay bill to governor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Arizona, site of next Super Bowl, OKs anti-gay law

So, if Glendale is the site for the 2016 title game, that should be at risk as well.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Actually, it wouldn't affect me directly. Even if it did, I'd just go somewhere else. Plenty of times I've been refused or rejected over the years for whatever reason.

But there are a lot of laws, where I live as well as elsewhere, that I don't personally agree with. If I don't like them strongly enough, guess I'll go someplace else.

My point is that Arizona, as well as other states and countries, have structures in place for inacting laws. Why don't we address the core issues instead of the symptoms? Why are these laws passed; who's behind them? The fact that these things are being passed --- or even introduced --- shows there is some support for them.

I don't see how it's the place of the NFL, the NCAA, the IOC or some other outside entity to attempt to strong arm local leadership into complying with their wishes. The hypocrisy of the NFL, NCAA and IOC on so many issues has been much discussed. This would be just another example.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The NFL, NCAA and IOC already do what they can to impose their will upon local leadership. This would just be doing it for something other than just financial gain.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True. We're sinners and hypocrites, so let's just keep it up.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't see you amending your ways, so it's a bit silly to see you calling for anybody else to do so.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Every person has a redemptive moment. Even Fart.
    Consider Mark an ongoing project- maybe one day he will really surprise us.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How dense. Completely expected, though. Arizona tells businesses it's OK to fuck over gay people. But if you decide to not do business with businesses who fuck over gay people, you're in the wrong.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Just a point of clarification here, but it's a big one:

This isn't law yet. It passed the legislature and has gone to the governor's desk. I don't think she'll sign it, so it'll be a moot point.

The Arizona state legislature is the sorriest collection of douchebags you'll find anywhere. The governor is not a bright woman, but she generally keeps them in check on stuff like this. She rejected a variation of this last year. The legislature always says its first goal is job creation, then focuses on three kinds of bills: (a) stripping money from social services, (b) variations on "guns are magic!", and (c) laws like this one that seem designed to humiliate the people who live here.

What's frustrating here (among other things): Arizona has always been conservative, but it has never been particularly conservative on social issues. At one point, Arizona was the only state to have voters reject a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. This legislature is not a reflection of the people. It's a reflection of the extremists in one party who have a stranglehold on the state government.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ah, that is a big one. I will amend the headline.

So Jan Brewer is actually the voice of reason now?

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

PC, someone is electing these people.

Not the only place. Where I live, election primaries are approaching and the commercials are flooding the airwaves. Sometimes I wonder what the competition is over. Every candidate seems to be more conservative/discriminatory than the next. Immigration. Gun control. Tax policy. Gay rights (or lack of). Voter discrimination. You name it.

I wonder if that's what the public wants. I guess we'll see on election day. In the meantime, I stay in hiding and try not to get out in public.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No, not wrong. Just doing the same things and expecting everyone to smile and congratulate you.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Scary as hell, isn't it?

True, but here's the problem with that (and this is not intended as an anti-Republican rant):

It's a largely Republican state, but not particularly socially conservative. So, if you have an (R) next to your name on election day you've got a huge advantage in the vast majority of districts. But... the party leadership is not in any way a reflection of those people. The people running and gaining party support for office tend to be extremists who will support whatever they're told to support by ALEC and the Arizona Policy Institute. The Democrats aren't even a speed bump in the process here, so the extreme activist end of one party can pass whatever it wants.

That leaves Republican voters scratching their heads, wondering how in the hell their representatives keep embarrassing them with these bills.

Short version: if this bill went on the ballot, it would get shot down in a heartbeat. I haven't heard from a single person who supports this.

As someone who has covered government here for years, it's always interesting to see which stories get national traction. This legislature is filled with crazy people. Seriously, when Jan Brewer is your beacon of hope and reason, you're fucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted