1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arizona, site of next Super Bowl, sends anti-gay bill to governor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 23, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/21/us/arizona-anti-gay-bill/

Interesting for the league given the various entanglements it finds itself in these days. The state approves a law allowing businesses to refuse to serve gay customers if it runs counter to their religious beliefs.

The league once removed a Super Bowl from Arizona over its refusal to recognize MLK Day. Don't imagine that happening here, but it's certainly going to be a hot-button issue when all the corporations and gladhanders descend.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Arizona, site of next Super Bowl, OKs anti-gay law

It would be great if the league had the balls to take the game away. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen...

It would set a tough precedent for the NFL. Do you let any state that doesn't allow gay marriage host the game? I'm guessing the league wouldn't go that far.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

So, what, the owner of every pizzeria in the state is going to ask about sexual orientation when someone walks through the front door?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You take it away.

You fucking take it away tomorrow.

I would say that, as far as gay marriage goes, you wait for a few years, until there are just a few hold-outs. Although I think it will be a moot point, because I think that the Supreme Court will act well before then.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Any word on when the NBA, MLB and NHL are going to force the Suns, D-Backs and Coyotes to relocate to in response to this?

And what happens to the Cactus League? When does the Pac-12 kick UA & ASU out?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's the Super Bowl. It's a marquee event, and logistically movable. The NFL has done it before. It can do it again.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Of course leaving it there shines a week-long worldwide light on the stupidity of this law to begin with.

8. LongTimeListener

All of those other events AQB mentions are businesses that operate within the state.

The NFL is a national organization, and the Super Bowl is akin to a convention. Completely different.

I do expect the NCAA to avoid the state where possible.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

More political correctness run amok. If you have a law or policy that we don't happen to like --- regardless of whether it was approved by voters, the legislature, whatever --- then we won't grace you with our presence. It's the same sort of sentiment that the Olympics should never be held in Russia, China, etc. because their laws happen to be different.

This opens a huge Pandora's box. What's going to be the next hot-button issue?

So funny how the "tolerant" crowd is actually anything but. More like "do it our way or we'll take our ball and go home".

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

So Mark, if your state passed a law that made it legal to refuse service to sports writers, you'd be fine with that?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Take away the Super Bowl and take Glendale out of the National Championship rotation. I don't think they're scheduled to have another title game, but I might be wrong...

12. LongTimeListener

Why would it work that way to the people of Arizona? It would be meeting their requests to give them money and then GTFO.

Without boycotts and economic pressure from various national organizations and companies (including the NFL with the Super Bowl), there is no telling when the state would have recognized MLK Day. They still might not have.

Draft saved Draft deleted