1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arizona Republic's skank-o-meter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This could go into why newspapers are dying-type of threads. If I was the editor-in-chief, I'd start to cry. For some strange reason, I'm guessing the ad staff pushed this type of story.

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/nightlife/hotorhype/articles/nightlifehot0.html

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So, it's essentially "Arizona's hottest strippers"? Why not a map of the city's prostitution hotspots?
    You stay classy, Phoenix.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I can only imagine the reaction or our editors if someone wanted to put "she wants to shaker her money maker" in a caption that appears in our paper or web site.

Wonder where the feminists on the staff are. Don't they have to be howling right about now. And I'd be right with them.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Can't tell which way feminists would go. Some would say that the women are breaking the bonds of sexuality, while others would claim exploitation.

5. lono

lono Active Member

Van Buren Street.

All you need to know. Cash only.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

All would say this is the dumbest shit ever.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I grew up in the valley. I thought Apache Blvd. in Tempe had the better meth whores, though.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The feminists all took the buyout I guess.

I hear they're mostly using interns as reporters these days. Maybe the interns are calling the shots editorially, too.

9. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

I always joke with one of the guys in the office that the best way to get blog hits is to put photos of scantily-clad women on the blog. Too bad the biggest newspaper in Arizona actually is doing it.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How curious that about 70 percent of the people featured in the article all work as promotional models for the same firm. Hmmmm. And if you're going to do a feature like this, at least take decent pictures.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I bet it gets a ton of hits. So why argue with it.

If you draw the line before an online-only feature like that, than you're going to miss out on the clicks. And that's why newspapers are dying.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yep, much as some would like to pretend, feminists aren't homogenous in their views on sexuality by any means.

I'd be in the first group. My mom in the second.

Draft saved Draft deleted