1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arizona LHP diagnosed with thyroid cancer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael Echan, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

The left-hander in question is Doug Davis. Incredibly, he's still going to be making his next spring start before surgery on April 10. Nothing but the best of luck.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7965218?MSNHPHMA

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Damn, that sucks. In my dealings with him he was nothing but a great guy.

3. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Since it's been a while since my last human physiology class and I'm in the middle of working on something, what does a thyroid control? I know its in the neck and if you don't have enough salt/iodine in your diet, you get a giant goiter and an appearance on Seinfeld.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Well, that's pretty fucking lame.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Release the hounds.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'll be slightly nicer than Chef.

The thyroid controls your metabolism and how much energy you have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroid

7. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Much appreciated, ma'am.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

The wiki cite has a lot of good info. I'll concentrate on the main symptoms here:

Hyperthyroidism (too much thyroid hormone): tachycardia/palpitations/arrhythmia, tremors, weight loss, heat intolerance, fatigue.
    Graves' Disease, which Gail Devers, Bobby Engram and I share, is one of the major causes of hyperthyroidism. (It's an autoimmune disorder, along the lines of multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. Iodine in the diet, or lack thereof, is irrelevant.)

Hypothyroidism (too little): weight gain, cold intolerance, low blood pressure, fatigue. Everything slows down.

Both can also include psychological symptoms -- mood swings, anxiety, irritability, and the like. Leave either one untreated for too long, and you risk serious damage, even death. By the time I was diagnosed, simply taking a hot shower was enough to send my heart rate into the stratosphere, 180 bpm or higher. Not fun.

From what I've read, though, most thyroid cancers are slow-growing and can be caught before they metastasize. Best wishes to Mr. Davis.

9. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Were we supposed to be tantalized into thinking this was Randy Johnson. Why not just write Doug Davis in the title?

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In my experience with relatives and others who have or have had cancer, if the cancer is outside the thoracic cavity (with the exception of the brain), chances of survival are pretty high.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I guess he doesn't have Wikipedia bookmarked.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I wish Doug Davis nothing but the best and I hope he becomes a fellow survivor.

Draft saved Draft deleted