1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arizona Cardinals hire Whisenhunt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 14, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You never know, Marty Schottenheimer could be on the unemployment line ...

(Not saying he deserves to be put there, necessarily.)

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Looks like Gailey was never really a candidate. I think they gave him an interview as a courtesy to Cowher, who recommended that they hire Gailey.

According to Ed Bouchette in the Post-Gazette, Grimm, Rivera and Tomlin are the ones with a realistic shot at the job. At this point, I definitely think Grimm gets it.

3. mojo20205

mojo20205 Member

I personally never expected the Whiz to be named head man for the Stillers. He has a offensive mindset, something that, even if Big Ben wants, will never be displayed in a head coach in Pittsburgh.

Russ Grimm is an O-Line guru and a former member of the Hogs, and appears to be a hardcore coach that would love to run the ball and keep the defense in the hands of Dick LeBeau. That's been Pittsburgh long before Roethlisberger came along.

Plus, he looks like guys who drinks about five Iron City's, eats a Primanti's sandwich and puts in a snuff every night after watching film. A definate 'Burgh guy.

My biggest question is whether the Steelers will keep Mark Whipple on the staff. He was Big Ben's QB coach since he got here and seems to have a rock solid relationship with him. He interviewed for the Boston College job, but was denied. If Grimm is named head coach, look for Whipple to get offensive coordinator duties. That's if Whisenhunt dosen't get him first.

Chan Gailey? I'm puzzled by this one, because it came out of left field.

Cowher loves him, just watch the Super Bowl 30 highlight tape when Cowher screams in the headset "Chan, Chan, Chan!" before going for an onside kick. Just looking out of a friend if you ask me.

Rooney's listening to Cowher if you ask me again.

Sleeper candidate? Mike Tomlin

Don't know a damn thing about him other than he's black. Probably just a pawn to make the "Rooney rule" hold up in the NFL front office. If he gets the job (he won't) will he put he schemes that current members of a Super Bowl defense aren't used to? Probably.

Pitsburgh isn't far from competing again. That's why the money here is on Grimm

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would prefer Rivera, whose resume looks more like Cowher's when he got the job, and then Grimm. But that's just me.

Best of luck to Whisenhunt, who hopefully has more success than Mike Mularky did with the Bills.

5. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

I have to agree on this one I mean look at the guys WRs Boldin and Larry Fitzgerlad, and then look at the RB The Edge, but he is going to have to face one problem that damn O-Line if can't re-tool that line up he want have much success in Airzona.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed on Rivera, then Grimm, for pretty much the same reasons.

And the Steelers can keep Whipple if they want, but they may let him leave if Arians becomes the offensive coordinator so he can be Whisenhunt's offensive coordinator in Arizona.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Glad to see RAMBO likes to reply to his own posts.

Draft saved Draft deleted