1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arizona Cardinals hire Whisenhunt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

There have been far worse head coaches in the league than Gailey.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Because they have some really ill-equipped people leading the effort.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Well, there's a standard you want to use in selecting a coach ...

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

And there have been, and will continue to be, far better options too.

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Oh, no, I agree, but I don't think there are any openings that aren't going to be filled by someone rolling the dice. If you're an owner, who do you hire right now?

I would probably take Gailey over Pete Carroll, Jim Mora Jr. or any of the retreads who are out there right now.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Gailey is a retread as well.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There's rolling the dice and there is picking up a retread who has already shown he isn't any good.

Grimm and Rivera, just off the top of my head, would both be better choices.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

while i remain skeptical that gailey will be the choice in pittsburgh, the organization did love him when he was the steelers' offensive coordinator. he was the guy who created almost all the "slash" gimmicks for kordell stewart when ron ehrhardt had the coordinator title.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Pancamo is right. Chan(dler) coached the Cowboys.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Actually, Gailey did a pretty damn good job with the Cowboys. Even with Jerry Jones drafting hideously (and it was Jerry, not Chan, doing the drafting) after the departure of Jimmy Johnson and undercutting him at every turn, Gailey took Dallas to the playoffs in both of his seasons as coach and won a division title. The Cowboys have been to the playoffs only twice --both times as a wild card -- in seven seasons since under Dave Campo and Bill Parcells.

Jones repeatedly cut the legs out from under Gailey, allowing the players to bypass the coach and bring their issues to Jones, often without Gailey even knowing about it. A good example of that came when RB Chris Warren left town to get treatment for an injury from his personal doctors but didn't bother to tell Gailey he was leaving. He told Jones, who approved the absence without asking Gailey or even telling him when Warren would be back. Jones also picked Gailey's assistants for him. Gailey had zero authority with the Cowboys and the players knew it. He never had a chance to run that team.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'll agree with da man. How much of a shot did he get in Dallas? At the same time, he hasn't been setting the world on fire at Ga. Tech, and watching them blow that lead against West Virtucky wasn't a good experience.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just don't hire Chan Gailey, please. I don't doubt that he's a good coach, that he didn't have much of a chance to lead the Cowboys when he was there. I just don't like the idea of him being the Steelers' coach.

I would still favor Grimm or Rivera here.

Draft saved Draft deleted