1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arian Foster: Out and loving it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

not that there's anything wrong with that

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boy that's a waste of time.

Wanted more about the baby mama and the subsequent divorce. That was some good shit with the media out in his driveway.

As for God and spirituality, I care no more about his lack of it than I do anyone else's celebration of it.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Up goes the Tim Tebow strawman.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

On what planet did ESPN criticize Tim Tebow?! Seriously, they fawned over the guy for three years.

Killick and Double Down like this.
  6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

BDC99, that falls into the category of people seeing/believing what the want to see/believe.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Of course. People are idiots.

SFIND likes this.
  8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I found the article very interesting. I'm not a big NFL guy; I don't know much outside the local team and the Patriots/Packers/49er teams. I had never heard of this guy. I probably heard/read his name at some point, but it didn't stick.

I've often thought and wondered about nonbelivers on teams. Even in high school, I hear the "I just want to give all the glory to God," comment just about every time I interview an athlete. (It's funny how I'll hear that and then see the same kid retweet a picture of half-naked girl a few hours later, but that's for another topic.)

I'm glad Foster does have the courage* to come out and take this stance. Players, especially at the college level, do not need to feel forced into saying the team prayers or going to a church session.

*And let's not start with the whole Kaitlyn Jenner courage discussions here. No, Foster isn't going into a war or fighting cancer. But he could face significant public blowback over this, especially in the God, Guns and Country culture that Texas is. He does need a little courage to do this.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've brought it up before, but, when you think about it, how strange is it that NFL and public college football teams pretty much are able to mandate prayers?

I mean, when you think about it, if any other business mandated that everyone gather around the office to pray, or to go on a team-building exercise to a church (and if it's on Sunday, would overtime be paid? :)), there would be, no pun intended, all hell breaking loose. Threats of lawsuits and claims of discrimination.

10. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

There is no other sport in the country, all the way down to youth levels, that rides the God train like football does. Good for him.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Of course he's opposed to God's plan. He's a Vol. Duh.

KYSportsWriter and TigerVols like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted