1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arguing about sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wait, you're deaf?

I can sit in any stadium and watch a game and enjoy myself. I'll still even cheer for my favorite teams. But I have to be at least under the influence to really debate things. I'll analyze and talk sports with friends, but outright arguing? It gets old fast.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My fiancee' family are like that mustang. They all kind of spout off at the mouth without thinking about what they are saying. I think after watching games for a bit with me and having me correct them over and over, now they wait and ask me before spouting off.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I had this problem too in high school. My best friend's father was a KU fan just to spite me, though most of the time he was just waiting for K-State to lose. When we lost to Marshall in 2003, I shit you not it was less than five seconds after the game was officially over and the phone was ringing. I basically screamed for the entire house to hear, "DO NOT PICK UP THE PHONE!" because I knew who it was.

I try not to get into debates on this subject because: A-I'm a redhead and get worked up easily, B-if I'm debating someone, they're obviously not going to see my point and they're never going to change MY mind, that's for damn sure. Plus, since I moved to SEC country, I just twitch a lot. Big 12 rules.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Redhead, huh? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not deaf. Just can't hear shit. :D

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I completely hate arguing about sports. I've found those who I argue with have very little thought or logic into what they say.

It's too often just a horrible waste of my time.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I have a rule: Anyone who calls me within half an hour after one of the teams I care about loses a crucial/heartbreaking game is not my friend anymore. If you don't know well enough to leave somebody the fuck alone in that situation ...

8. It was weighed heavily before we went out for the first time, I think on both ends. But I was feeling pretty good about the situation since the Phillies won last year, the Eagles beat the Cowboys 44-6 in Week 17, and I can still hang 1993 out there since I'm a Florida State football fan.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Is she just a front-runner who likes to root for the "cool" teams, or is there some historic/geographical basis for her interests? Chicago would explain the Cubs/Irish part, but not the Cowboys part.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You're an idiot.

:D

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I don't argue with mental giants in the stands ... waste of time. And it's like shooting fish in a barrel, anyway.

Some people at my current place of employment have tried to tie into it. The supervisors pulled at least one of them aside and told them my background. Stopped a one-sided slaughter in a hurry.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sounds like you get a little to involved if you're bothered by a silly phone call after your team loses. Either that, or you follow shitty teams. :)

Some of my best friends are the ones I argue with the most. We care about sports, and we're not afraid to debate it. That said, we never cross the line during our debates/arguments, either.

To each his own, I suppose.

Draft saved Draft deleted