1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arguing about sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Aug 11, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It seems like my friends and relatives always want to argue about sports. For the most part, they are as ignorant as the folks on message boards.

This is probably why there are very few people in the world I will talk sports with.

I really just can't stand some of the dumb shit my friends say. Does anyone else have this same problem?

Most recently the topics that have gotten me steamed involve college football. I am a big Michigan fan. But I graduated from Michigan State. In a normal week, I get about 10-15 texts, e-mails. voice mails about how much Michigan sucks, how bad Rich Rod is, how Justin Feagin is a coke dealer and jokes about Toledo. When Michigan lost to Appalachian State I got 82 text messages, 82!

I don't really respond. I don't care to. I don't care about who other teams are recruiting or what there players are doing. Still, I get bombarded with messages about every recruit MSU has, how Michigan playing UConn is bad for the program and everything in between. It drives me nuts and I need to vent. I think I'm going to start posting some of these messages below to show everyone how irrational some of these things are.

So does anyone else hate arguing sports, or hate their dumb friends inability to discuss things without bashing other teams?

Okay, rant over.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have very annoying friends.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

take it in stride and laugh. it's sports.

meanwhile, toledo owes me money for spiking that game against shitty buffalo in '05. cost me a grand payout on a parlay. three things were certain in life that year: death, taxes and a 50-point toledo win over buffalo. thatms what makes that investigation into toledo shaving all the more infuriating.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Don't respond. Those are really stupid conversations.

When people keep texting and get no response back, they will finally give up.

5. Im lucky in that my friends all like sports, but don't follow them on a regular basis so they don't try to get into arguments with me.

Now my girlfriend on the other hands is a Cubs/Cowboys/Notre Dame fan who believes her teams can do no wrong, despite one of them not having won a World Series in 100-plus years. But the arguments with her are more in fun than anything else.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You don't even know the half of it.

One of them cried last season after their team lost a game. I compared said friend to the dorky Nebraska fan that ESPN always shows.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

My best friend is a big sports fan, it's something we've always had in common. In college we would watch hours and hours of sports. But, he is the biggest "We got screwed!" guy there is.

We're both Mets fans, and the other night, K-Rod blew another save against the Padres. I can't remember the exact details, but he ended up giving up a walk-off grand slam in the ninth. But before that the Mets gave up the tying run early in the inning on a questionable call at home. Replays showed the guy was out. But, K-Rod then loaded the bases, didn't get ONE guy out, before the grand slam. So my buddy is all "they got screwed! He was out at home!"

Um, dude, the only people that got screwed were the Mets fans that have tried to root for this damn team this year.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Actually, none of those teams has won a World Series in 100-plus years. :D

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

One thing my friends don't do, at least not usually, is bash my teams or torture me over a tough loss. That's because I don't do it to them, and because I generally give a fair and honest assessment of where my favorite teams are at. I'm not one of those clowns who will come up with ridiculous reasons for why my Detroit Lions will beat the Patriots. Or why Bowling Green will knock off Ohio State. Or whatever.

My favorite conversations usually go something like this:

Friend (Packers fan): "Lions are going to get destroyed today. Won't come within two TD's."
    Me: "Yeah, I agree. It's a Thanksgiving game, but still, can't see the Lions winning this one."

Then the friend will sit there stunned, silent and sort of mad. Because he had already prepared a rebuttal.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Replace "sports" with politics and "dumb friends" with Democrats and you have the exact same post Scribe was just about to put up.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

This is the main reason I cannot stomach sitting in the stands, listening to the ignorant conversations going on behind me and unable to respond. It's excruciating.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Lions win when it counts, 4-0 in the preseason. How did the Patriots do? That's what I thought, jackass! Tom Brady is a scrub.

(See that's something a friend would say to me, thinking it is a legit discussion.)

Draft saved Draft deleted