1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aretha Franklin's Pancreatic Cancer (5-10% chance to live)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Oh dear…..

It seems the mystery illness that has sidelined music legend Aretha Franklin from the stage until May is much more serious than gout or a bad case of heartburn.

In fact, the Queen of Soul could be in for the fight of her life.

The Snitch Circuit is abuzz this Wednesday with whispers that Franklin has been diagnosed with advanced (Read: Inoperable and Incurable) pancreatic cancer.

The Enquirer claims doctors made the glum diagnosis after Aretha broke her ribs in a shower fall over the summer. Tabloid tattles claim the “Respect” singer has been given less than a year to live, with her advanced age (She’s 66..) and massive weight lowering her odds of recovery. Though The Enquirer is known for its often-outlandish take on unbiased journalism, it should be noted that the publication was the first in the world to report Patrick Swayze and Michael Landon’s battles with pancreatic cancer — a disease that has a less than 10 percent survival rate and ultimately killed both actors. They also blew the lid off Christina Applegate’s breast cancer scare in 2008.

Franklin underwent a top secret medical procedure last Thursday, Dec. 2, one day after a community prayer vigil was held on behalf of the legendary Motown singer in her hometown of Detroit. Franklin wasn’t at the vigil, but in a statement she thanked the City Council, saying “All prayers are good.”

http://www.popcrunch.com/aretha-franklin-pancreatic-cancer/

2. WriteTank

WriteTank New Member

Re: Aretha Franklin Pancreatic Cancer (5-10% chance to live)

The AP is reporting that a relative of Franklin confirmed that she has cancer. Hopefully she outlives the diagnosis. God bless her and her family.

3. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Fox 2 News in Detroit has learned that the "Queen of Soul" has cancer. A relative of Aretha Franklin tells reporter Al Allen that the icon has cancer. Another relative says the family is very concerned.

At this time Franklin's family says she is doing "OK", but they are asking for the continued prayers and thoughts from the community. Add your sentiments in the comment module below>

Pop Crunch.com published an article today citing a report by The National Enquirer that Franklin has incurable pancreatic cancer. Fox 2 could not confirm the type of cancer that Franklin has. Last week she underwent surgery for a mystery illness.

The surgery was deemed a success, but it came under mysterious circumstances. A few weeks ago Franklin canceled all concerts through May 2011 due to "medical reasons."

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/aretha-franklin-has-cancer%2C-fox-2-confirms

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

This has been a big deal around Detroit. It really doesn't sound good. So sad...

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Have never been a fan, even less so when she was a complete b*tch to a colleague of mine at the Motor City Bowl a few years back. Still, cancer sucks.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Until she puts out a press release saying she's in hospice, I'm not too worried about her.

[/too soon?]

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if she had the Whipple procedure? If she did, she has a shot. My father couldn't because he had blood pressure issues, and Aretha's a lot more overweight than he was.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Last time I saw her perform was on Oprah. She was incredible, but the host made me want to throw my shoe through the screen. They flashed to Oprah, and she had tears streaming down her face. Aretha was just singing "Respect" or some other Motown standard, but Oprah had to crowd the limelight and make it all about her and how powerful it was for her to watch Aretha perform. What a two-bit manipulative fraud.

Anyway, wrong place, wrong time for that rant, but I got it off my chest. When Barry Bonds is on his deathbed decades from now, remind me to go off on Oprah for asking Barry why those "little, little, tiny men" (meaning sports writers) think that they have any standing to criticize him.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

You obviously think we have nothing better to do. Not one damn thing.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not completely sure if she did or not.

One of the local TV stations interviewed a guy who survived pancreatic cancer with the Whipple procedure and he was back to work in four months. But they never specifically said if Aretha had it.

The guy was about 10 years younger than Aretha, though.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

From all reports she has always been a complete diva, in the most negative sense of the word.

Still one of the great voices of all time, though. No doubt whatsoever about that.

Hopefully her treatment goes well.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Pancreatic cancer has been on quite a rampage lately. No performer, sports figure or artist is safe.

Patrick Swayze, Myles Brand and now Aretha Franklin.

Draft saved Draft deleted