1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aretha Franklin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

"The Blues Brothers? Shit. They still owe you money, fool!"

She rode that line like a pro.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Someday, before I die, I'm going to go into a restaurant and order four fried chickens and a coke.

Fred siegle, HanSenSE and TowelWaver like this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Dressed like a Hasidic diamond merchant.

TowelWaver likes this.
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

As great a singer as she is, Aretha also played piano on her biggest hits

Slacker likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Looked it up, Murphy was 88 when he died a couple months back. I wondered how that was possible until remembering, sheesh, the movie is almost 40 years old.

Now I just wanna lie down.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If God had wanted musicians to act He would have sent them Lee Strasburg instead of Elvis Presley.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

She had a performance not far from here last year. Mrs. MMSW balked at the ticket price and, alas, we did not go.

My reason for wanting to go was not sufficient.

“Because she’s Aretha.”

I loved watching her performance at the Kennedy Center honors a few years ago when Carole King was honored.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Without a question this is my favorite Aretha song. I understand that this is a cover, but I love it. (I also love Dionne Warwick's version)

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Anyone can drop the mic. Aretha dropped the fur.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I love Aretha, but all three times I saw her perform live, she was terrible.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I saw Aretha perform for about five minutes.
    It was at the pre-game party in the Vets Stadium parking lot at the 1996 All-Star Game in Philly. I was part of the Upper Deck contingent, taking a few shifts at our FanFest booth, and enjoying the sights and sounds of the city otherwise. They divvied out the tickets to the various events and I got the pre-game party but not an All-Star ticket. So, I go to the party/concert with some co-workers and just as Aretha took the stage, a colleague comes to me talking on her cell phone saying one of the people who got an All-Star ticket decided to let me go in his place and that I could pick it up at the hotel. So as Aretha getting through her first song, I jump on the charter bus back to the hotel, get the ticket, and take the bus back to the stadium to get in my seat in the second inning.

Aretha sounded damn good in those five minutes, though.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wow that is fabulous

Draft saved Draft deleted