1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aren't they the competition?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spnited, Feb 4, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

So, if you go to the Newark Star-Ledger website and check out their Giants Super Bowl photo gallery, you come across this pic:

[​IMG]

Oops!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

God, who would promote that rag?

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Good photo, but yeah, probably don't want to go with a shot that shows a competitor. That's the Bergen Record, correct?

If you're from the Record, you have to be loving that the premade cover worked and that it's now being shown on TV and possibly in other papers. Ad people and beancounters love it.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

With an online photo gallery, I don't see the issue with it.

Now, if it ran in The S-L tomorrow, yeah ... but it won't.

5. What's the difference?

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Someone going to nj.com isn't going to have a firm connection with The Star-Ledger...it's a clearing house for Newhouse's Jersey papers (and there are a few of them).

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Is that the guy with the amazing eyes? They kept zooming in on him at the end, and they never zoomed out enough to show a number. All my roommate's friends were drooling over him, and one offered to bear him babies.

If that's not him, who's the guy with the baby blues?

Never mind...I looked at their roster. I think it's Shaun O'Hara.

8. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

couldn't disagree more

i'm gussing star-ledger readers make up ~95 percent of nj.com/sports & as far as i've seen, there's a strong brand connection between nj.com and the ledger

pretty big gaffe from where i sit

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

As an employee of one of the other Newhouse papers in NJ, I agree with Stone Cane. There is a strong brand connection in New Jersey between NJ.com and the Star Ledger.

10. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I have a question regarding printing cover's like that for any big game. Does the paper print 1000-10.000 of two versions of the front page and if so do they have ads on the other 3 pages or content? They have never done it at any of the papers I have worked at so I am not familiar with the process.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted