1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arenas suspended indefinitely.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Give him a couple more years off, Stern. If the judge won't do it, you can.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's all David McMenamin's fault.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/espn-writer-sends-supports-arenas-in-court.php

3. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

I have Gilbert fatigue. Please get him out of Washington already. I'm tired of seeing him on the news, reading about him in the Post and hearing about him on the radio. My interest in the Bullets is at an all-time low.

4. Starman

He should be, but won't be, instantly fired by ESPN.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Plaxico Burress is kicking himself that he didn't shoot himself in DC instead.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Why should he be fired Starman?
    I think the judge, given that Arenas recently lost his mother, is out of a job, and has done a lot of charity work, gave him a break. Arenas may do something stupid again, but I think he has learnned from this.

7. Starman

In regards to McMenamin being employed by ESPN, it isn't the place of anyone employed by any news organization to be giving character references to keep gun-toting criminal athletes out of jail.

As far as Arenas losing his mother, tough shit. I lost my mother too; I didn't start hauling a piece into my workplace. A far as his charity work, bully for him, but that isn't a get-out-of-jail-free card either. Except, apparently, it is.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I hope someday I have the balls of David McMenamin and can stand up for my principles, consequences be damned.

Since I'm not able to take everything in narrow black-and-white terms, I can't really say what punishment Gilbert Arenas truly deserved. But if I felt like McMenamin did about it, hopefully I'd take a similar stand. ESPN can live without him, and he can live without ESPN, if that's the way it goes.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I can't believe the Wizards are allowing Arenas to ever even sniff a team uniform again. They have every reason, I believe, to void his contract. It boggles the mind that they're not doing so. They need to clean slate, and I thought they were headed in the direction with the February trades. Guess I was wrong.

10. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

I agree. Another case of them giving him the benefit of the doubt even though he crippled their salary cap, got injured a bunch and brought terrible press to their team for months. Meanwhile they traded their two best players who are both contending for titles now, something the wizards haven't done in a long time and won't do for an even longer time. Morons.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

From what I've seen and heard, they really don't have the ability to void his contract. Strange as it seems, precedent is working against them here. Remember, the Warriors voided Latrell Sprewell's contract after he choked PJ Carlesimo. Sprewell challenged it in court and won. If the Wizards could win they probably would have voided it by now.

Their best bet is probably to hope some team that loses out on guys like Lebron, Wade and Bosh gets desperate to add a big name player and makes a deal for Arenas. Otherwise, the Wiz is stuck.

Draft saved Draft deleted