1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arenas suspended indefinitely.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jan 6, 2010.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And having a firearm, even unloaded, at the Verizon Center probably violates all sorts of city laws.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Recent Supreme Court ruling shot down the city's ban on owning guns, but you still can't bring guns into the city if you live outside--Like Arenas did taking the guns from Virginia into the D.C. city limits. Not to mention bringing them to a place of work. (at least from what I understand)

One thing I never understood. If Arenas is a responsible gun owner and wanted to keep them away from his kids WHY NOT BUY A F***N GUN LOCKER? Just a couple of bucks to someone like him and kids would never get at them.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/06/AR2010010605167.html

The story isn't nearly as malicious as first stated, but Gil deserves to be suspended for simply being stupid.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Adding to the gun locker argument... Why not rent a storage space somewhere and place the gun locker, with the guns, in there? I'm sure there is a storage place within a reasonable driving distance to the range where he shoots these things.

5. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

no suspension for delonte west yet. west has only been charged and has not admitted to any wrongdoing as opposed to arenas, who admitted he had guns in the locker room. stern will wait until west is done with the legal system.

stephen jackson received a seven-game suspension.

the wise story isn't as malicious as the ny post's initial story, but it is far more ominous than arenas putting four unloaded weapons on crittenton's chair. a loaded and cocked weaon ... wow.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Heard a good opinion last night, he supposedly brought the guns to work because he now had a newborn? When was the last time a newborn fired a firearm?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Crittenton -- not suspended despite loading and cocking a gun in the locker room.

Arenas -- suspended b/c he pissed off the commissioner.

What an utter joke.

8. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

qtlaw -- i don't think arenas was worried about a newborn getting ahold of a gun. i think it's more along the lines of "i now have have three kids in the house. i don't want the guns here now."

tsp -- would you like the nba to suspend crittenton based on anonymous sources relaying a story? if indeed crittenton had a loaded and cocked gun in the locker room, i'm betting the punishment he receives from the nba won't be an utter joke.

the nba prefers to do its investigations after local police/prosecutors do theirs. the nba doesn't want to get caught up in subpoenas. and in the cba, it states a player does not have to cooperate with a league investigation if there are legal ramifications.

9. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Those guys obviously screwed up, too, but what Arenas did was compromise the safety of other NBA employees by having a gun at the arena. And the fact that he was so unapologetic about it really pushed Stern to suspend him IMO. He has yet to take it seriously and who the fuck is doing PR for the Wizards or Arenas? How have they let it get to this point?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Great story by Wise. I also have a problem with Arenas' teammates laughing as he joked about providing ammunition for Crittenton to shoot him.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The great thing for the Wiz is they can't possibly suck more without him than they did with him.
    AMF.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just read the NY Post and NYT's version of the story.

It's unbelievable. How is Crittenton not suspended? Why didn't the Wizards suspend both of them -- did the league ask them to hold off?

And how did the Wizards think they could cover this up? If there were as many witnesses as is being reported, heads need to roll throughout the Wizards organization for not dealing with this right away.

Also, I think TSP is right. Arenas was suspended for mocking the situation, not what he actually did. Stern is an embarrassment.

Draft saved Draft deleted