1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arenas/Stadiums/Venues of Your Past

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Machine Head, Jul 23, 2010.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I saw one Lions game at Tiger Stadium. It definitely wasn't built for football.

Cool side note: The players used to come out of the dugouts to get to the sidelines.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Hank, my man, your timing is incredible. Terry Foster did a column on that for today's Detroit News:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100724/OPINION03/7240328/Baseball-alive-at-old-Tiger-Stadium-site

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

[​IMG]

Miss summer nights with my grandpa when I went down to Houston to spend time with the family watching Astros games.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Read that earlier today, but didn't get a chance to post until now. Very cool story.

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Great thread, Machine Head...

Now I'll go eat some hay, make things out of clay, and lay by the bay. I just may!! :D

Saw plenty of Clipper, San Diego Gull and San Diego Socker (and a then-WWF card) at this dump, the San Diego Sports Arena:

[​IMG]

And plenty of Padre and Charger games at San Diego Jack Murphy Stadium (sorry, Qualcomm).

[​IMG]

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

For my money, on a beautiful late summer/early autumn day, it doesn't get much better than this place:

[​IMG]

Then, of course, we have this place:

[​IMG]

Spent many a summer night here with my grandfather watching the Mariners and going to Seahawk games with my uncle.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Only in Detroit can you have people threatened for trespassing for cleaning up an empty lot when the city is littered with abandoned, burned out buildings. Makes perfect sense.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The Boston Garden. The last Bruins game I went to in that building was in 1989. I was in the last row of the second balcony behind one of the goals. To see the whole ice I had to crouch on top of the back of the seat while holding on to a girder overhead.
    Foxboro Stadium. As big a dump as it was, it didn't seem that bad to me. I had never been to another NFL stadium, so it seemed OK to me, no obstructed seats anywhere.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Husky Stadium is a great setting. From a working standpoint, it freaked me out. I got a little claustrophobic in the elevator to the press level. And I do get vertigo, and sitting in that press box was a challenge. You're almost directly above the field, looking straight down over the front edge of the press box. When the games were over, I was glad to get back on the ground.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Machine Head,
    I can't add much more to your original post as far as Minnesota stadiums. For Met Center, I remember going to the girls state basketball tournament as a kid when our town made it, and being a hoops nut, watched it every year anyway on TV. Same thing for the Civic Center and the boys state basketball tournament, which we went up to every March and was always the highlight of my year. Always wanted to get there as a player but never did. Although, like everyone, I wish they had never moved it from Williams Arena.

Only other real memorable place is The Natural Bowl in Collegeville, Minn., where the St. John's football team plays. Now known as Clemens Stadium. Is always named as one of the best venues for football, regardless of division. It's gotten a bit commercialized the last few years with promotions every 5 minutes telling you to turn to a certain page in your program to win a year's supply of popcorn, but the setting is still first-rate.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/favorite_venues/03/02/murphy.natural/

[​IMG]

11. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

in the minor-league category, I'll go with John O'Donnell Stadium in Davenport, Iowa (extra credit for it being named for a former sportswriter). Spent lots of nights sitting in the stadium watching some bad Single-A ball on the banks of the Mississippi River, while listening to trains go by about 20 feet behind the third-base grandstand.

[​IMG]

It gets extra credit for some of the best flood pictures you'll ever see ...

[​IMG]

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Stop calling me dude!!" [/crossthread]

Draft saved Draft deleted