1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arena Football League in trouble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Quite frankly, I don't see what investors are thinking when they get invested in these start-up sports leagues.

We got a press release a few years ago from some off-the-wall independent baseball league starting up. These minor league football leagues like afl2, the Women's Professional Soccer league, the pro fastpitch softball league that's out there....how? How can these leagues stay afloat, and after they fail, why won't these investors learn?

2. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Why? How would you like it if someone said that about your newspaper folding or wherever you work?

You might not like the league, but it's income for these guys. It also gives them a chance to play a sport they obviously love, and fans in small markets a team of their own.

It also gives some sports writers something to cover and further justify their paychecks in these times.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I see your point, but it cuts both ways.

A minor league operation with very little going for it can be a drain on resources for a newspaper's sports department.

I'd rather have someone doing a story on why Podunk High can't balance its athletic budget this year than to deal with a contest where no fan can name any of the players on the field off the top of his or her head.

4. People say that every day about the place I work.

And I don't thinking covering af2 justifies anyone's paycheck.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I went to one when I was living in Vegas. It was...interesting.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Oh where have you gone Hunkie Cooper?

7. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

It certainly further justifies it, especially in the spring and summer when HS football is in its offseason.

8. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Too bad. I like AFL. Before I gave up my life to newspapering, I went to af2 games in my hometown regularly. It wasn't a the sent-from-God NFL, but it was cheap to go, and it sure beat the hell out of staying at home and doing nothing.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Wow, your HS football has an offseason? Wish we could say the same.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Usually it costs next to nothing to get into these things. So you find some guy who's had a successful insurance business, but lusts to get his name in the paper and be a recognizable big shot, and he fronts the money. Even if it goes belly-up after a season, he's still Joe, the Allstate guy who stepped up to bring big-time sports to Topeka.

That's the case in the crap leagues like arena football, roller hockey, indoor lacrosse, etc.

The ones that take a run at competing with an established league (WHA, original ABA, WFL, USFL) do it with the hope of forcing a merger with the established league, like the AFL did with the NFL. It happened to a limited degree with ABA-NBA and WHA-NHL. That way you get to join the established league at a bargain price.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I never minded covering af2 games...those players work damn hard to improve and are incredibly gracious and easy to talk to. It's a good, family-friendly experience. Of course, I preferred Double A baseball or AHL hockey, but af2 is a decent league and I'd never wish illwill towards it.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

In stark contrast, I say, "Die, die, die af2." Nothing against the players, but arena football sucks almost as bad as auto racing.

Draft saved Draft deleted