1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arena Football League in trouble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Dec 7, 2008.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Hope this isn't a d_b.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/12/05/arenafootball.html?sid=101
    http://www.cleveland.com/gladiators/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1228555874316750.xml&coll=2

2. BettorFan

BettorFan New Member

I have never seen an Arena Football game.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe the NFL will save its ass. Doesn't the NFL already have a 49 pct interest?

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I have no doubt that if the league does fold, it or something exactly like it will emerge from the ashes in months, if not weeks. Forget cockroaches; once the apocalypse happens, we'll still have pinball football played in half-empty arenas in flyover country.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Even if the AFL goes the way of the USFL next year, there will be arena football -- the Lingerie Football League!

10 teams open play in September 2009, including the Atlanta Steam, Chicago Bliss, Miami Caliente, New England Euphoria, Tampa Breeze, Dallas Desire, Los Angeles Temptation, Phoenix Scortch, San Diego Seduction and Seattle Mist.

Personally, I'm pining for an expansion franchise in 2010. Who wouldn't pay to see the Louisville Lust?

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If the Arena League goes down, will AF2 go with it?

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Not sure just how closely the two are affiliated. The Louisville Fire is already gone for next year, and I'd bet a few others are too.

8. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

No. The NFL had an option to buy half the league a few years ago but declined.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

And will anybody care?

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Good.

The Lingerie League can take that name. It can be the last road trip each franchise takes.

11. God, I hope so.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Well, I believe af2 is the minor-league feeder to the AFL (I know, a minor-league to a minor-league, how ridiculous is that?), so I can't see why af2 would still be around if the AFL folded.

Draft saved Draft deleted