1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Your Readers On-line or in Print?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Feb 19, 2017.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have a question for those of you who work on daily newspapers. What percentage of your readers are on-line and what percentage are reading you in the print edition?

I certainly do not want to out anyone but if feel comfortable sharing the size of your paper (I define a paper with more than 75k circulation as large, 25-75k mid-sized and less than 25k small), that would be interesting. I realize circulation numbers can be tightly guarded and you may have to guess.

Also, if you feel can describe your beat in general terms (professional, high schools, etc.) that would be interesting (at least to me).

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Good topic. I think the higher ups believe the majority of readers are online by far. I think the idea is the only people reading the stories in print are the people that would read anything in print (old people) no matter the quality. I think the idea is to make the online story very very excellent assuming more are reading it. Now are they reading it in detail? Maybe? Maybe not?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We're still "large" (relatively speaking) and have all kinds of reader metrics. We have far more "readers" online, but that may not mean much. Because the amount of time an online reader stays engaged with our product is far shorter than the time a print reader stays engaged.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  4. Editude

Editude Active Member

We're pretty large ;) and get most of our readership online (except for Starbucks and, thankfully, our well-off delivery holdouts), and we try to turn almost every web-first story into the thought pieces we are known for. The efforts aren't always successful.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Mid-size paper. Going on nine or 10 years online subscription now.

The numbers, almost to the exact decimal point are 90% print subscribers, 10% online subscribers. Got there in four years. Haven't changed in four years either.

6. Just curious, do print subscribers get a digital subscription as well? And if so, can you tell where exactly they're reading?

7. Doc Holliday

Yes they do. And I'm sure our techs can tell, but I have absolutely no clue.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

In other words print is dominant in your market? I still say some muckety-muck 9 to 5 er bean counter types have gotten this all wrong. The only way to make money in "journalism" is via ads in the print product.
    BTW: Has anybody done a recent story on kids today, lets say from college freshman to 30 years old? Do any of them read anything but quick hits on twitter? Are any of these people reading newspaper articles online or in print? Also, do 18 to 35 year olds even know what a newspaper is? Seriously.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The problem is higher ups are putting lots of time and resources into the online product when in reality the reads of online product likely "peruse" shit far more than readers of the print product. Nobody under 30 actually reads any more because nobody has time to read.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

In four years I would bet your print subscriptions have declined. So this means your on-line readership has declined at the same rate as print? If so, that is truly frightening.

11. Doc Holliday

The print went down one year, then held steady one year, then actually went up one year. It's held steady this past year. We're at relatively the same number today as we were four years ago for print give or take a couple hundred subscriptions. Online hasn't budged by a significant percentage in four years.

12. Doc Holliday

No idea to the latter questions. However, to your first question the answer is emphatically yes. Print wins by far in the market I work in. Remember, I'm at a mid-size daily, not a metro.

Draft saved Draft deleted