1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Your Area HS Football Games Regularly Played On Saturdays....?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Apr 14, 2012.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Can't think of any schools in Oregon. Don't recall teams in either part of Iowa I lived in playing Saturday games, either. Seems like schools from my HS days in Washington state didn't play Saturdays.
    If I had to guess, I would say some of it in the PNW is you can start watching college football games around the country by 9 a.m. Saturday and thus any HS football game that day would have a smaller crowd.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I think in addition to whether or not the field has lights, a large part of it has to do with college football as well.
    In the South, where Friday night high school football dominates, there are a ton of top-notch Division I programs that play their games on Saturday afternoon.
    Here in NJ, you've got Rutgers, Princeton, Monmouth, and a bunch of D-3 schools,and no major school in NYC to divert attention on a Saturday, so playing on a Saturday afternoon is not a big deal.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I live in Southern New Jersey, near Philadelphia, and that is still pretty much the case here. Lotsa really small school districts, fields don't have lights, either money is the issue or the lights would be shining into somebody's house.
    The Catholic high school near me recently installed lights and started playing on Friday nights. At night, the PA announcer sounds like he's in my living room.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I remember those unlit fields. When Michigan had girls hoops in the fall, if two Yooper teams with Saturday football happened to be playing each other in basketball, they scheduled the hoops game for Friday night.

In Flint, same as other major cities, more schools than fields so depending on scheduling, some may have to play on Saturday afternoon.

In two years of covering high school football in Indiana I've yet to see a regular season game on Saturday

Draft saved Draft deleted