1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Your Area HS Football Games Regularly Played On Saturdays....?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Apr 14, 2012.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

What part of the country are you in, Bigpern23? Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it. BNW

2. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Great pic, Shotglass. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Yodel, you would not happen to know the name of the HS that has no lights, would you?

4. bbnews60

bbnews60 Member

Here's a link

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/sports/24birds.html

5. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Thanks, BBNews. I appreciate it.

6. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Thanks, Yodel. I appreciate that. BNW

7. sportbook

sportbook Member

This is a pretty interesting video about the tradition of Saturday afternoons at Canandaigua Academy in Upstate New York. While really on a sharp decline, over the last two decades the program has sent players to the NFL and to Michigan State, Georgia, Boston College, and Syracuse, among others. There has been a big fight about whether they will continue to play at the traditional neighborhood field, or move to the high school where there is more parking and lights. A lot of the issue is came to the fore because the New York State budget is such a mess.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I covered high school football in South Jersey in the early and mid-90s. We had several schools that played Saturday games.
    Don't know if they still do.
    Pennsville comes to mind, but I know there were a few others.

9. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Looking through some schedules on MaxPreps, it looks like a good number of schools in the Trenton area still play on Saturdays. Looking through a couple other schedules, it seems there's other areas that do too.
    Is New Jersey alone in how widespread it is there?

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Upper Peninsula of Michigan - I have seven football-playing schools in our area. Two played on unlit fields on Saturdays, but both those schools have undergone field renovations - one put lights in, the other didn't. I kind of like the Saturday games at their field on the shore of a lake, though the local geese tend to view it like a gas station bathroom - watched one take a flying crap on the field 30 yards behind the line of scrimmage during a playoff game.

11. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Beat me too it. I think the Oakland league did mostly Saturday afternoon games as did a few mediocre programs.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Eastern Massachusetts used to be all Saturdays. Now, it's a majority of Friday nights, but there are still plenty of Saturday games, too. Also, some Thursday and even Sunday games (those are rare, but they happen). My home town, Lexington, doesn't have lights on the field. Of course, this is the same burg (which I love dearly), that ran Denny's out of town by requiring it to close at 11 p.m., the only Denny's in the U.S. not open 24/7.

Draft saved Draft deleted