1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Your Area HS Football Games Regularly Played On Saturdays....?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Out here in Hawaii, the Big Island also called Hawaii, in the county also called Hawaii, the games are split between Saturday and Friday. One school has no lights at its field, so its home games are always on Saturday. Others like it just to save money on turning on the lights.
    But we also have several who play home games on Friday.

On Kauai, the games had to move to Saturday because the football lights confused endangered birds, who would get lost and die in the water, or something like that.

2. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

In the Baltimore-Washington corridor most of the games are Friday nights. A few of the private schools will play Saturday afternoons because they don't have lights. There's also one whole suburban D.C. county where most of the school fields don't have lights, so they play on Saturday by necessity. The D.C. city schools are a complete train wreck as far as sports, but ironically they have added field turf and lights there, so they can play Friday nights.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In Michigan, probably 80% of games are Friday night, with the rest Saturday with a handful on Sundays (usually Catholic schools as others mention). Some schools without lights, or with security problems, play games Friday afternoons.

The exception to this is when the season begins the weekend before Labor Day, most schools play their first games on Thursday night because parents don't want to give up their 3-day weekends.

Also, a few weeks into the season there is usually a spate of games shifted to Thursday for Yom Kippur (in schools in heavily Jewish communities).

So the answer is that games are more commonly played on Friday, but Saturdays are not unusual or remarkable.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Around here it's weird. In one district everyone tries to play on Fridays unless their field is being updated. In fact, the boosters had to come in and "rescue" a perennial favorite from playing on Saturdays with a donations for lights.

During playoffs all bets are off. They could play on Fridays or Saturdays because there are only so many turf fields. For championships it goes by Syracuse's schedule. If Syracuse is away they usually stack all games on Saturdays starting at 9 a.m. If the Orange is home, some games are played on Friday and the next three on Sunday.

In another district our two teams play on Saturday. Some of their away games are on Friday, some are Saturday. It's not really a big deal in that district. Soccer is king there.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I can't think of a high school field in Kansas that doesn't have lights. Shared-stadium situations are most often handled by having one team play Thursday. Saturday games happen in the playoffs. There might be Saturday games in the Shawnee Mission district which has five schools but I believe only one stadium.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I know that the Pittsburgh City League schools share one stadium, and there are, I think, eight of those schools. I don't know how they split up the games time-wise. Would be curious to know.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shenango High outside of Shit Castle, PA used to always play home games on Saturday night because, I guess, going to Shit Castle, Farrell or Neshannock was a better idea for most people on a Friday night.

8. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

In Alabama, you don't play HS games on Saturday. I can't remember any cases of that happening. College football is king.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Northeast Mississippi here. Very few Saturday games, the most notable of which in recent years was a game delayed from Friday night by bad weather.

We also get a few Thursday games each season.

In 1992 or so, I worked at a weekly where the local team was weathered into a Monday night game. And this was in a universe where my section closed on Tuesday afternoons. Good times.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Other than catastrophic weather or state championships, I can only think of one regularly-scheduled Saturday game in nearly a decade of chasing teams in Alabama, Georgia and the Fla. Panhandle.

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Northwest Ohio.
    The vast majority of games are on Friday nights, with some Catholic schools playing on Saturdays.
    We have three cities in our area (two covered by the paper and another just outside the coverage area) with a public and private school who share a football field. They powers that be usually have games scheduled so that the private schools have Friday home games when the public schools are on the road, but there're still the occasional Saturday games each year.
    The playoffs split the divisions equally between Friday and Saturday games, alternating who plays when every other year.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, Cupples Stadium, which does have lights. If I remember correctly, they play Thursday, Friday and Saturday games.

Draft saved Draft deleted