1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you where you envisioned yourself to be?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rumpleforeskin, Oct 5, 2008.

1. What frustrates me the most is I never got to have a job where I could just write and report, and I really feel that I earned it. There was always something else involved. Copy editing. Production. Pitching in on the phones.

I know that's pretty standard. I'm not whining. But I'm kind of at an age where I have realized that if I don't like it, then do something else instead. So I am.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

unemployed in a lousy job market, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say nope, i'm definitely not where i had envisioned.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess.
    I'm where I expected to be my standards, but probably no one else's. I shot for the moon and I'm pretty close, I'd say.
    I'm near friends and family again, and happier than ever.
    And I'm starting to realize that's what mattered most.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

sorry if this disappoints, but i could not have asked for a better life. doing precisely what i've always wanted to do from the day i entered the biz 30 years ago.

except for my less-than-ideal physical condition that's limited me for the last five years, i've been one of the most fortunate folks on the planet -- love the work, surrounded by a loving wife, three super kids and a gaggle of friends.

i understand my situation is unique. i don't mean to rub anyone's face in it. i know what a struggle this biz can be. i count my lucky stars every day.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

amen, shockey.

6. I don't think that "disappoints" anyone! Damn, it shouldn't at least.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

If you mean, standing in the middle of a bunch of kindergartners while some dude wearing a velvet jumpsuit and a lotta gold is staring at me, then yes, I'm right where I envisioned myself.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Will you watch my niece?

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Only if she is a 5-year-old boy wearing Scrappy Doo underpants.

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

this isn't where I envisioned this thread would go.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So you're the happy one. Hooray! Seriously. What a fine balance, sounds like.

12. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

I haven't picked up a chainsaw or a pipe wrench to make a living in 30 years. That, by itself, makes me a happy camper.

Got beans on the table, a roof over my head, most of the bills paid, two kids out of the house and one who may yet come around. No one is shooting at me.

There's a new story to tell every day. I'll never be famous or rich. But I have two grandsons, and the wife seems willing to stay for the duration.

Could lose it all tomorrow and end up scabrous on a dung heap. Guess I'd have to try to start over.

Every ridge you climb reveals more ridges and mountain summits to the horizon. Keep on truckin'.

Draft saved Draft deleted