1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you where you envisioned yourself to be?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rumpleforeskin, Oct 5, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yes and no.

When I left school 3 1/2 years ago, I had a few goals: Make a living as a writer, work for a metro by the time I was 26, become a major-league beat writer and some day be honored by thousands in Cooperstown, N.Y. And so far, I'm 2-for-4, and that's likely as far as I'll get, and it'll be by my own accord.

When I was 22, choosing between television and print -- banking that I'd land a job at ESPN; and figure the rest out from there -- I had only my career in mind. And when I decided to write, I set my career expectations real high, probably too high, looking back on things; at least for my skill level at that time. But things have changed for me.

I've got a few friends who cover baseball teams, and they all say how "long" the season is, especially the road trips, and I'm not sure that's the life I want to lead. Eventually, I'd like to have a family, and I don't want to be one of those dads who's not really around for his kids; I had one of them. And I just don't think covering a baseball team for 10 months -- if you're really lucky -- is going to allow that to happen.

So, obviously, my fourth goal will not happen if I choose not to pursue my third. And I'm OK with that. My mind still might change, and I'd be OK with that, too.

What I've got now -- and what I didn't have right out of school, besides a clue -- is a good ... no ... a great job. The money's OK, the people are outstanding, I've got free reign in terms of writing, and I'm making a name for myself. Will I be famous for doing what I do? Eh, probably not. Will I be honored by thousands in Cooperstown, N.Y., for it? Certainly not. But if I'm doing what I'm doing now, in the same place, with the same people, in 15 years, that's a reward in itself.

I still have goals. But, and I'm not sure if this is a sign of maturing or because I'm happy with my career, they're more on the personal side. I honestly never thought I'd be thinking -- let alone typing -- this three years ago, but there's more to life than the job. And while I continue to put more time and effort into my job than anything else (especially my personal life), it's not to advance myself further into this profession; it's because the satisfaction I get from a job well done immediately impacts how I feel about myself. But, like almost everything else I thought and said 3 1/2 years ago, that'll probably change, too.

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

Twelve years in, I'm working for a major outlet so I'd say I'm pretty much where I hoped to be career-wise. I'm in a major city, too, and happy here. I had no idea I'd ever wind up in this town, though.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I just started my career, and I have a job I'm happy with in a location that isn't bad at all. I wouldn't mind if the circ was a little bigger, but overall I'm happy with where I am right now.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Trust me, circ doesn't mean nothin'. I'm convinced that newsrooms get more dysfunctional the higher up the circ chain you go. At least, that's been the case in my career.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I agree. The worst newsroom I've ever been a part of was a metro.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Thirded.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Oh, it's not very important to me at all, but doesn't it look a little better on a resume to work at a 30k instead of a 12k?

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Definitely not where I envisioioned myself at this point in my life, but that's not a bad thing. As Jones pointed out, you simply recalibrate your priorities as you go.

While I could never have imagined I'd be living in Alabama at 30, I'm happy because I'll have my degree (finally!) in two months, I'm married and I make decent coin. I'd like to be a little closer to home, but having spent the last two years here is helping me remedy that situation.

My goals are far as career path have changed several times in the past five years, and I'd imagine they'll continue to change in the future. I got no problem with that. Yet.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't think that step up is that much of a difference.

I went from a 12K to a 200K. I would have cut off a leg to go back to the 12K.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I made a similar jump, and, at times, I would have moved back. I went from Hell to its Triple-A affiliate.

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Minus the $100 bet, I agree with Jones' perspective on this. ... Of course, had anyone asked me six weeks before my 21st birthday if I would be working where I am now five years later, I would have probably spewed my beer across the room. I had goals for my career in college, but I hit part of one of my goals, realized it wasn't all it was cracked up to be, set another goal and then ended up going in a completely different direction.

I love it...I'm happy with my career now and I could see myself doing this for a while. ... Five, 10 or even 20 years, I don't know, but for the immediate future, I'm here ... and I've got enough hills to climb and things I want to do within my job that I don't need to go searching for my next mountain yet.

Personal goals? Well, that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm just happy to be alive.

Draft saved Draft deleted