1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you where you envisioned yourself to be?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rumpleforeskin, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

At this point in your career(s), are you near the place (circ., job responsibility, etc.) you wanted to be when you started out? Five years ago, would you be happy with where you are professionally, if you set a goal?

Discuss.

Personally, I am two years ahead of where I set my goal. I had to rearrange some goals, but as of right now, I'm happy with how I've progressed.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

No. Life happens.

That's not to slam Rumple's thread, just one person's recent journey. For those who can better answer this question, please do.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

But does it make you ANGRY, Rumple?

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Hahahahahahaha!

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I know it's a worn joke, but it never gets old to me. :)

6. pallister

pallister Guest

To be serious for a moment, I've had an occasional goal or two, but I don't think I ever "envisioned" myself anywhere. One one hand, I would say I'm certainly not where I'd like to be, careerwise. But, on the other hand, I'm 36 and I still don't have any idea what I really want to do.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't think I've ever set goals. Or made plans. I just kind of did what seemed right at any given time. But I'm someplace I never imagined I'd be...so bonus points I guess.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I probably set some goals when I was rumple's age, but if I did, I don't remember them now. Life happens, like Sam said.

So I'm not where I "envisioned" I'd be, because so many things have changed -- including whatever goals I had. But I'm exactly where I want to be. Not so much because my job is phenomenal (truth be told, it's kinda boring.) But it gives me a chance to live the life I want -- and I absolutely love my life.

And in that respect, I'm exactly where I envisioned I'd be.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You want to make God laugh?

Make plans.

I'm happy to be, in the main, upright and above dirt level.

All else is gravy.

10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Absolutely not... by either of buckweaver's standards. Is it really screwed up that right now I'm just happy to have a sportswritin' job, frustrating as it can be?

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I'm actually where I expected to be at this point. In many ways, unforeseen developments have helped me exceed my original expectations for this particular point. I'm not sure I'm where I want to end up, but for now, I'm OK.

Now, ask me again in six months or so, and there may be some lamentation. Because I have no idea what is next.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Seriously, I had completed all my career goals by the age of 24. My problem was I didn't have ENOUGH goals. And I guess I never thought I could reach those goals, or it would take me a lifetime to accomplish. Surprise!

So I floundered around for a few years, not really sure what I was doing or where I was going. Personal stuff impacted that as well. But not having any goals was hard. I had always had something to work toward.

And what I learned along the way: It's less about "I want to have X job at X media outlet by X years old and make X money" and more about learning what makes you happy, career-wise.

I realized I was happier working in a team than on my own, happier working as a journalist than as a PR flack, happier being challenged and solving problems than having an 'easy' job. I also realized I was unhappy doing countless interviews, unhappy being on-call as a reporter, unhappy working before noon. :) Knowing those things, it's less about my job title or who I'm doing it for and more about feeling satisfied.

Draft saved Draft deleted