1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you where you deserve to be?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Nov 27, 2008.

?

Forget "Are you where you want to be" - "Are you at the level you deserve to be at?"

1. Yes, I'm at the level I should be at.

23 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. No, I'm lower than I should be.

32 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. No, I'm higher than I should be.

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My boss always talks about getting better for "my next job" (which is cool, that means he wants to help people move up), but at the same time, I don't mind working the level I am at.
    Some preps, some D-I and some D-III. Sure, a bigger staff and better communication would be nice...but I am fine (not thrilled, just fine) with the situation I am at.
    Honestly, I don't want to work at a paper bigger than mid-sized, that's not wrong...right? I know I won't make more than 50K ever, but that's why I have a Sugar Momma! ;p

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No, I'm not where I should be. And I have NO IDEA why. Not after well over 10 years of hard work. Doing the grunt work. Taking assignments no one else wanted. Being the last one to leave the office at night.

When I first got out of university and started out, I understood I had to start at the bottom and work my way up. So I did the preps, the little league, the BS rec features. And the copy desk. And did them quite well. That was fine THEN, but that wasn't why I got into the business.

Now, I'm in my early 40s, never made more than $36,000 per year and just got the short straw in the latest round of layoffs. AGAIN!! So, yeah, I wonder, what gives? I never played anything beyond the high school level, but I work hard, have an immense amount of knowledge and will put my work samples up against anyone's. Surely I'm qualified for something beyond an entry-level job at a 15K daily or an agate clerk!!

I don't have connections --- friends in high places. Most of the people I know are in the same boat I'm in. It seems like in 15 years, I've never gotten a break. I don't mean to come across as whining. But, sheesh, I just don't know where things went wrong.

For those of you who are at or above where you expected to be, any insights??

3. lono

lono Active Member

Here's the thing: Yes, you got lucky because two interns didn't show up once and again when the baseball writer gig opened up.

But — and it's a big "but" — you put yourself in a position to capitalize on those opportunities. You were the No. 3 guy on the intern list, not the No. 78 guy on the intern list.

When the baseball job opened up, you had a body of work that your bosses rightly felt made you qualified for that job.

So, yes, you were lucky. But you put yourself in position to take advantage of those opportunities. It was your talent/work ethic/abilities that allowed you to capitalize on a break.

In other words, you played a huge role in making your own luck.

The luck didn't occur in a vacuum. And a lot of folks don't understand that.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At least you're an officer.

Much respect by the way.

5. rebelpaul

rebelpaul New Member

I'm way over my head for where I'm at. I'm 22, fresh out of college and going through learning phases. I cover a Division I basketball beat, and I thought I'd be doing preps for a majority of my first few years in the industry. So it's safe to say, I'm higher than I should be.

Draft saved Draft deleted