1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you where you deserve to be?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Nov 27, 2008.

?

Forget "Are you where you want to be" - "Are you at the level you deserve to be at?"

1. Yes, I'm at the level I should be at.

23 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. No, I'm lower than I should be.

32 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. No, I'm higher than I should be.

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Many constantly talk about wanting to be at another tier or a higher circulation or whatever, but honestly, are you where you deserve to be?

I can safely say that, because of a major career move, I am just about where I should be, and absolutely where I want to be. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Are you?

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'd say yes. I'm happy in my job, my coworkers are all cool, and it's overall a good place to start and one I'll probably stick around at for a while (assuming the chain lets me).

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm gonna say no. I settled. I took a step back in regards to my position to accept a spot at a major metro. The money is the most I've ever made, but I'm performing entry-level tasks.
    I hate the fucker who said "money can't buy you happiness."

4. lono

lono Active Member

I'm very happy with where I'm at and very fortunate to be here.

Where I deserve to be? Hard to say.

It's been a long journey and there have been many breaks along the way, some fortunate, others not so much.

The funny thing is, the harder I work, the luckier I seem to get.

Hope it continues.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not even remotely close. But I'm damn lucky to be where I am.

6. Keystone

Keystone Member

If I could've looked into the future back when I graduated college in 1991, I'd say no. I would've envisioned myself at a major metro instead of the mid-sized daily I'm at now.

However, with a family and a mostly good workplace, I'm satisfied.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I probably was close to where I deserved to be, but now? No. There's a clear reason, though.

At least I found some part-time news desk work in addition to my basically full-time-with-benefits job.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i keep checking back to see if anyone has selected the 3rd option

9. spud

spud Member

I'm pretty sure I'm in a higher position than I deserve. I'm confident, a smart worker and I've won a few awards, but in this market in this business, there is no way there aren't more qualified candidates out there with more impressive pedigrees willing to work for less for this peach of a job. The paper is thousands more in circulation than I thought I'd land, the money is better than I thought I'd get, my beat is insane for my current station and the people I work with are all great guys.

I'm about as fortunate as it gets in this climate. I guess this is a day to be thankful, and I'm at the top of the list in that regard.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I like all the people who said that they're lower than they should be. If that's not incredible arrogance on your part, prove it.

In my case, yeah, I feel like I am. But you know what? I know I'm not. I know that I'm doing stuff right now that's commesurate with my experience in years, though I know I could probably do more based upon my experience in skill.

Still, people in my situation, age- and time-wise, would be happy to be where I am.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Depends. I'll say I'm beyond lucky to be where I am and that the list of people who would like my job is exceptionally long. I've gotten there in part because of dumb luck and knowing a few good people willing to say good things about me. But I've also worked hard to get where I am, and I still work hard to do a good job. And I've gotten better at my job, and I think I have the talent.

But deserve is such a strong word. I'm not sure I deserve it anymore than anyone else does. But I don't take it for granted and I hope that's reflected in the job I do. Effort isn't going to be a problem with me.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Frederick thinks he deserves to be higher up the food chain.

Draft saved Draft deleted