1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you stocking up on rice?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Great. My roommate/tenant is going to want to have that taken off his rent, because that's all he ever eats.

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I figured the Democrats would have an answer to everything in this. Oh, well, I guess Al Gore's plan will save us all. That's the answer. Thanks.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Bingo. And it's been stretched to the limit a lot longer than most people realize. We just hid it for a while by living off debt.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And here I figured it would be the Republicans who would save us. Oh, well, I guess they're all clueless.

5. joe

joe Active Member

My headline on the rice story yesterday:
    Rice, rice ... maybe

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I saw a documentary a few weeks ago called "King Corn," about how the vast majority of corn grown in the USA is used for fattening up cattle and isn't fit for human consumption.

At one point, they interview a former Secretary of Agriculture who started the farm subsidy programs (Butz, I think?). He said America's affluence has been built on cheap food prices. When you're using only 10 percent of your salary on food, you have a lot more disposable income than if you're using 50 percent like Americans did in previous generations.

7. joe

joe Active Member

You can eat row corn (the kind that goes for feed), but it ain't nothing like sweet corn.

8. Inky_Wretch

Oh, I know. Feed corn tastes like sawdust.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

In previous generations, you didn't have telephones, insurance, cars, appliances. That alone makes up about 50 percent of our current expenses.

So are we going back to the 1880s?

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My mom was at a church relief meeting, and let me remind she's prone not to always hear things right, but the relief group, one of the things they do is help feed the poorer members of the church. She said a federal law exists that prevents food hoarding and that the government can seize assets of those who do that.
    Because someone at the meeting suggested going to Sam's and loading up while things were still cheap, and that was the reason given that they couldn't.
    Has anyone heard this before?
    I did some googling and found some oddball executive orders laying around that seem to suggest exactly that. In times of crisis, the government can seize whatever they damn well please.

11. Inky_Wretch

My grandparents had a telephone, insurance, cars and appliances. They also spent a bigger percentage of their paychecks on food than I do. That gives me more disposable income to buy things like PS3s, DirecTV, clothes, vacations, etc.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

This country is f@cked. End of story.

We can lock the thread now. There's little left to say.

Draft saved Draft deleted