1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you smarter than Mrs. B's students?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Birdscribe, Aug 13, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Comes from the Acadians who were driven out of Canada and settled in Louisiana after the French and Indian War. Of course, that's probably the first time my Canuck history class ever paid off. ;)

2. Flash

Flash Guest

I love you. You are so much smarter than my ex ...

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You know, I've heard that before ... ;D

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Nice ...

5. Flash

Flash Guest

I should really change that to 'exes,' considering I have a tendency to date dummies. :D

6. First, how does IJAG get through school with just ONE U.S. history class?
    Also, I blame the previous teachers for these students' failures. If you don't know things like Lincoln was not a general killed in battle and our country was founded in 1776, you don't deserve to graduate high school.
    Teachers need to be more willing to fail people, I think, because a lot of students aren't going to learn any more than they absolutely have to.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Only one history class was required in HS. None for a BS in Journalism at UK.

:)

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ballplayers don't often overlap with Mensa membership, you know. Can't always have both. ;)

9. Then I'm afraid the system failed you.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Not me. I HATE history.

11. You don't have to like it, but you have to understand it.
    I'm not a big fan of math, but I can add, subtract, multiply, divide, square, etc. I can do those things because I was required to learn them to finish my schooling. And they come in handy.
    To me, history is no different. Love it or hate it, there are just certain things you should know.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It ain't unusual, Okie. My sister has taken just one Intro to Western Civ class in college, and she's pre-med pre-law, whatever. Hell, I only took one math class in college ... and I'll be damned if they were gonna make me take another.

Nobody's going to go out of their way to take subjects they hate until it's absolutely required. Lot of political issues to deal with before that happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted