1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you smart enough to work at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

Deadspin came across this gem, and I thought I would share.

And it is VERY TRUE: The Stats & Information Group is truly the heart and soul of the Worldwide Leader.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Manky Jimy knows all about Jeets. Call him.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No, but I'm good enough to work at the Plain Dealer.
  4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

When I was looking for a job, I applied at Borders, and they also had some kind of knowledge test.
  5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My first two papers had similar tests. They're primarily used for copy editors or agate guys. At my first gig, one woman failed it miserably but they hired her because they needed a female copy editor and it was a disaster.

The tests are usually pretty easy for anyone who follows sports at all.
  6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I used to eat that stuff up night and day.

Now that I'm older, the volume of stats bores me a little and I'm not sure I want to spend all day researching when was the last time a Japanese pitcher threw consecutive complete games that were interrupted by rain delays at Wrigley Field or the last time a running back named Harold from Brooklyn had 100 yards rushing and receiving in the same game in a losing effort.
  7. It's probably the same test I found on this site. In reviewing the test for my real test it was 98% the same thing. It got me two interviews with them, but no job. Now it's an online test but very similar.
  8. lantaur

lantaur Active Member

Damn it, man, don't leave us hanging!
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

How many running backs named Harold could there be in NFL history?
  10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm sure someone at ESPN Stats and Information knows.
  11. lantaur

lantaur Active Member

According to Pro-Football-Reference.com: 6 RBs, 6 HBs (including Harold "Red" Grange) and 1 FB.
Draft saved Draft deleted