1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you ready for some Women's Futbol?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 30, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Boxx!
    Cox!
    Marta!

They all may be coming to the Los Angeles Sol of the new Women's Professional Soccer League.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-soccer30-2008oct30,0,7387052.story

The Sol coach says that signing Marta would be as significant as Major League Soccer signing David Beckham.

The team is one of seven WPS franchises along with the Bay Area, Boston, Chicago, New York/New Jersey, St. Louis and Washington, D.C., in the new Women's Professional Soccer league, which is supposed to start in April.

Can you feel it?

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Women's sports are stupid.
    Soccer is stupid.

Ha ha!

Also, what's the deal with airline food?
    And who's the marketing genius that came up with that idea?

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Wasn't the the Miami WNBA team called the Sol before they folded?

Anyway, I'm interested to see how it works. The idea of playing doubleheaders with MLS clubs sounds like a smart one.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I disagree. Hell, I LIKE soccer and I couldn't sit through two games. Wait, scratch that, I did when I went to the early World Cup games in 2004. But still...most people won't.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Maybe, but I think initially it will help sell the product. Phase it out as your fanbase solidifies.

It'll still take less time than an average college football game.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think the average college football game is 3 hours, I'll give 3 1/2 for argument's sake.

180 minutes of soccer action alone takes up the three hours. Plus warm-up times, halftimes and injury time.

Sorry. No go.

Also, apparently they're only looking at doing a handful of doubleheaders. I don't know how much "phasing out" you could do. Seems like all or nothing if they're only doing 2-3.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What will differentiate this league from the last women's league?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is the correct answer to the original question "no!" ?

9. John

John Well-Known Member

It will fold even quicker, and I say that as a big soccer fan who drools over the chance to get the Fox Soccer Channel one day.

This one has no chance because there are no household names like Hamm and Chastain to promote and there is no World Cup/Olympics buzz to interest the average sports fan.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

MLS doesn't have any World Cup buzz going for it in 2008, either, and it's doing just fine.

I think "buzz" is far less important than "business model." We'll see if this league has a better one than the last one, but I think it will. That will determine the success of this league, not "household names" or "buzz."

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think the fact that they're going to try and follow the MLS model will be a big difference. All the clubs are going to work together, as well, instead of every club being a seperate entity.

They have a TV deal with Fox Soccer, with Fox Sports [Net] becoming a partner for the playoffs. I believe they're also going to try and collaborate with MLS clubs in their respective areas to help build a fan base.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Well, it sounds like this version isn't as arrogant as the previous one, which rejected affiliation with MLS, charged insane ticket prices and generally suggested it was the moral duty of every American sports fan to attend.

Draft saved Draft deleted