1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you one of the New Elite?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Nov 1, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Are you a New Elite?

A recent article in the Washington Post asked if the Tea Party was right and that the elites don’t get America.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/22/AR2010102202873.html
    Charles Murray, the article’s author, laid out some qualifications of being a member of the New Elite and it is the typical you had to go to Harvard or Yale or some other highly prestigious academic school.
    “When the tea party says the New Elite doesn’t get America, there is some truth in the accusation,” Murray writes. “The new elites are merely isolated and ignorant. They may love America, but, increasingly, they are not of it.”
    The weirdness is what he used as his criteria for being a real American of something and using the qualifications Murray laid out, here’s a quiz:

1) Where do you live?
    A) Washington, New York, Boston, Los Angeles, Silicon Valley or San Francisco
    B) A university city, such as Austin or the North Carolina Triangle of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill
    C) Flyover country

2) What TV shows do you watch?
    A) Mad Men
    B) I haven’t found a replacement for the Sopranos
    C) Neither

3) Who is the current host of The Price is Right?
    A) Don’t know
    B) Bob Barker
    C) Drew Carey

4) What is your favorite sport?
    A) I like to work my core with yoga and Pilates
    B) I prefer skiing and mountain biking
    C) Football

5) Who is Jimmie Johnson?
    A) Wasn’t he on Survivor
    B) A football coach
    C) A NASCAR driver

6) What does MMA mean?
    A) Don’t know
    B) Monday morning something
    C) Mixed Martial Arts

7) Left Behind is?
    A) Don’t know
    B) I think they are books or something
    C) What I’m currently reading

8) Have you read a Harlequin Romance?
    A) No, but my mom loves them, I think
    B) No
    C) What I’m currently reading

9) Where was your last vacation?
    A) Backpacking in the Sierra Nevada
    B) An exquisite B&B near Boothbay Harbor
    C) We took the RV to Branson

10) Not counting college, have you ever lived for at least a year in a small town?
    A) No
    B) Does Cambridge count?
    C) Yes

11) Do you have a close friend who is an evangelical Christian?
    A) No
    B) Are Mormons Christian?
    C) Yes, I met them at church

Answers
    If you answered A or B on all the questions, that means you’re a smug elitist prick, hate real Americans and you probably also voted for Obama. If you answered C on all questions, congratulations, and Sarah Palin would like your support.
    If, for example, your answers were a mixed bag and if you knew that Left Behind was a series of books but thought they are all poorly written trash and that you grew up in a small town and yes, you do take awesome vacations because you can and you also know that Charles Murray is a pompous twat who was horribly wrong on the Bell Curve and hasn’t been right since and you also suspect that the Washington Post editorial page editor is also a twat and, well, you’re just a smug prick. Will you be my Facebook friend?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I answered "C" on quite a few of those, but on the vacation question ... I would rather visit Yemen than Branson, Mo. Regardless of whatever baggage might be stored on the plane!

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hilarious.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

The appropriate answer to most of those questions

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Two years ago, there was nonstop crowing about the death of the Republican Party. The Republicans are out of touch, yada, yada.

Now, the Democratic Party is dead. Their leadership is out of touch, yada, yada.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

and here ... we... go.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A simple do you listen to NPR and have you vacationed on the Serengetti,would have served the same purpose.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I thought this was a thread about BYH approaching 50,000 and was going to scream about it being a D_B...

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The whole reactionary thing get so boring: the Republicans are dead, the Democrats are dead, the New Orleans Saints are dead.

It's so predictable and boring.

11. 2007 - Buck's fantasy team is dead
    2008 - Buck's fantasy team is dead
    2009 - Buck's fantasy team is dead
    2010 - Buck's fantasy team is dead

It works for some things

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This is why people hate you.

(PS-I keep forgetting to settle up. I'll get it taken care of this week.)

Draft saved Draft deleted