1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you of Davidic descent?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Depends on your VORG (Value Above Replacement Gentile).

2. Guy_Incognito

That is, meaning no patrilineal descent. But that's to determine who is Jewish from birth. Anyone sincere and committed can convert, though it's not pushed and not simple.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Fixed.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You fixed Goy but not the fact that above doesn't start with an O?

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I didn't pay attention to that part. Plus it wasn't funny.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Sorry that wasn't a Jewish enough response.

How about this: So sue me, nu?

Spartan Squad likes this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

So if a kid's father is Jewish and mother is gentile, how would the kid convert? Just by going to school and being bar/bat mitzvahed?

8. Guy_Incognito

Same as anyone with no Jewish parent. There's a process. Bar mitzva is not part of it.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Really? That's the way it works? Interesting.

I don't know how old you are, but were you around for/do you remember that show thirtysomething? The main guy was Jewish and his wife was a gentile, and when they had their first son (their second child) his widowed mother's new squeeze (played by Alan King) arranged for a briss. That episode was fairly typical for the show -- tons of self-absorbed yuppie dialogue and existential angst* -- and there was a lot going on in it that I didn't pick up on. Still, in that episode the implication was that their deciding to have the briss at the appointed time was a decision as to whether this son would be Jewish.

*My paper's columnist said it was if the cast consisted of nothing other than Howard Sprague's children.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There'll never be a TV bris as good as this. Apparently, Jason Alexander loathed the way the mohel played his part.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

So David was of the tribe of Judah, but is there any means for the average Jewish person to determine his or her tribe or tribes of descent?

12. Guy_Incognito

I'm speaking for Orthodox Judaism, but yes.
    I remember thirtysomething pretty well; Tuesdays were ABC all night (Who's the Boss, Growing Pains, Moonlighting & thirtysomething). Really liked it, but I think I gave it up when they killed Gary (spoiler alert!).
    Don't remember the bris episode, but TV almost always does it poorly. I found the Seinfeld one incredibly unfunny and pretty offensive.By contrast, their venture into the world of Kosher food was certainly more clever.

Draft saved Draft deleted