1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you left-brained or right-brained? (possibly NSFW)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ondeadline, Oct 11, 2007.

?

Are you left-brained our right-brained?

1. Left-brained, right-handed

25.6%
  2. Right-brained, right-handed

46.2%
  3. Left-brained, left-handed

10.3%
  4. Right-brained, left-handed

17.9%
  1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You guys are being conned into thinking you're making it change. It switches in a manner that is almost impercievable to the human eye every few minutes. When it does people think they made it switch by focusing on the inside foot, shadow, etc. because that's what they just happened to be looking at the moment of the switch, but it would've switched regardless.

Its innacuracy is demonstrated by the screwy results of the poll here. It goes clockwise the majority of the time which why most people have answered right-brained here. In reality, the majority of people are left-brained and right handed. Yet, on this poll the majority of people answered right brained and right handed when that's actually very unusual--right handed people tend to be left brained and vice versa.

The real trick here is the way this thing's program makes the switch so subtlely that its hard for us to percieve with our eyes. And its real purpose is just to fuck with our brains and get us debating it like has happened here the last couple days.

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that. Now at least I know I'm not REALLY crazy. Just a little f'd up.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nope, crazy.

4. You're wrong. I just followed Linotype's advice and now - after a night of only seeing clockwise - can make it go both ways in my mind. It's an optical illusion that depends on your focal point. If you stare at her abdomen or up (guilty) it's clockwise - stare at the foot and the shadow and it's counter-clockwise.

Not sure what that says about being creative or logical ... 'it just is what it is.'

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No, you just happened to be following Linotype's suggestion when it switched. It's also switched on people regardless of where they're focusing. Its appeared clockwise to people staring at the feet, and counter to people looking above. It's not a true optical illusion, but a very clever program designed to fuck with your mind and think it is.

6. I stared at it for an hour last night and it went the same way. Now, by switching my focus back and forth, I can make it change at will and hold either direction as long as I want to.

If you got any proof about the con, love to see it. Otherwise ...

7. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Stoney is absolutely wrong.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

agreed.

9. IU90

IU90 Member

This morning I saw this on another site but with exactly the OPPOSITE claimed meaning: it said that if you saw counter-clockwise you were right-brained and clockwise meant left-brained. The comments there were much like these--some claimed hoax, some claimed illusion, some didn't know.

10. I don't think it means much of anything other than where your eyes go first ... guys are almost at a disadvantage on this one ... I initially wasn't looking at her feet :)

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

funny. i read angola's post ("i see nipples") to mrs. petty before she looked at it, but she still saw a clock-wise motion when she looked at it. then, after we spent the five minutes looking at it to change direction, she finished up getting ready for work, came back and looked one more time and then says on the way out the door, "yeah, she does have nipples."

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I changed focal points like 30 times. I tried going slowly up from the feet. I tried watching what little of the shadow I could see. I tried going slowly down from the top. Always. Clockwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted