1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you kidding me?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Mar 10, 2008.

1. So, my son, who is 5-months old, is sick. I ask for a morning off to take him to the doctor's office only to get ripped on by the higher ups because some dumbass full-time slacker has to fill in for about two hours. Complete bullshit. How would you guys out there have handled the beating down that I got?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

www.journalismjobs.com

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'd have a serious and all-encompassing conversation about family, work, their policies and why this was such an issue for them.

After that, if you do not hear something positive or constructive, follow The Good Doctor's prescription.

4. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If your workplace gives you sick days but does not allow you to take time for a family member's sickness, I would have called in sick and taken the full day.

If those are the rules, you play by the rules -- or at least fake it.

If they want you to be flexible, they need to be. If they are going to act like turds, then you don't owe them a damn thing.

7. Ace is spot on. Screw asking for the morning off. Call in, take a sick day, let them figure it out. That's what sick days are for. Your mistake was trying not to inconvenience them. Believe me, they won't think twice about inconveniencing you.

8. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I would have gotten one of my son’s soiled diapers and smeared it in their faces just before kicking them in the nuts. But that’s me.

If you have personal days/hours that are unused, tell them that you are legally entitled to take personal time and/or sick time to care for your son. If they complain, it’s a human resources issue. Take it up with them.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

It took me a minute to understand this, but now I can't stop laughing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just curious: His mom can't take him to the doctor?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Geez. I can only think of about a 100 reasons why this may be the case.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'll start!

1. She has a job.
    2. She's already used up her sick leave taking junior to the doctor every other time (I hear babies need to go a lot).

Who's got No. 3?

Palmetto, this is fucked up. I advise Doc's course of action.

Draft saved Draft deleted