1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you kidding me?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by blondebomber, Mar 17, 2007.

1. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Would you way-too-easily impressed broadcasters please take this overused club out your bag and chuck it into the lake?

"Are YOU kidding ME?!?!?!?"

No. We're not kidding you. It was a reverse layup through traffic early in the second half. It was a long 3-pointer with the shot-clock running down. It was an alley-oop dunk to cut the lead to four. It was diving catch in the end zone, a backhand stab down the third-base line, a spin-o-rama move through the neutral zone.

We all just saw it. We're not kidding. It happened. Get ahold of yourself and call the next play.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

OK, I'll say it.

Are you kidding me with this thread?

3. Garner

Garner Member

Heard the exact same thing a few minutes ago and immediately looked up, thinking a sniper had begun taking out members of press row or something. Turned out it was just a reverse layup.

At least CBS has the good sense to keep Dickie V far, far away from the tournament. Last week, that guy was screaming his head off at a backdoor scene and missed layup with 16 minutes remaining in the first half. I eventually had to change the channel because I kept looking up from the screen every other minute thinking something amazing had just happened.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

No.

5. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I guess to clarify: It's not about the bombast, per se. I get that. Announcers try to keep it interesting.

It's this particular saying. You hear it so much these days in every sport and in practically every situation. I don't know if it's because announcers think it will make for a good sound byte to go along with the Plays of the Day, or what. It has become ubiquitous.

6. Garner

Garner Member

I know, but they hir him for nothing if they wanted. He's mentioned several times that it's his dream to cover NCAA tournament games.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He did. He was a studio analyst when ESPN had the first round back in the 1980s.

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

CBS inquired last year about having Dookie V. do first and second round games, but ESPN said no.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

He's still a studiop analyst for ESPN. And I believe he did early-round games when ESPN had them in '80 and '81

11. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Raftery double-dips with both ESPN and CBS. Probably because all sides recognize he's the best.

12. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I don't think he has. That was the main reason CBS tried to get him. One, he's viewed as the voice of college basketball. Two, he's never done NCAA Tournament games. I'm fairly certain he was just a studio guy when ESPN had the tournament in the 1980s.

Draft saved Draft deleted