1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you kidding me? USA Today media columnist....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Nov 27, 2006.

1. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/mccarthy/2006-11-26-weekend_x.htm

ESPN football analyst Michael Irvin says he's sorry for his comments on Dan Patrick's national radio show a week ago that Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo's athletic ability must be due to African-American heritage.
    "It's clear I was joking around. But I understand my comments were inappropriate. I apologize for those comments," Irvin said in a phone interview Sunday, after appearing on ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown.

ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys said Irvin will appear on The Dan Patrick Show on Monday, while continuing his TV gigs.

"Generalizations about heritage are inappropriate even in jest, and what Michael said was wrong. We have spoken to Michael about it," Soltys said.

Irvin's comments mark the latest talent flare-up. This year ESPN fired columnist Jason Whitlock for trashing colleagues Mike Lupica and Scoop Jackson in an interview. The network also fired baseball analyst Harold Reynolds. Fox Sports booted baseball analyst Steve Lyons for on-air comments about Lou Piniella's Hispanic background.

Irvin said he tries to bring fans inside the world of the locker room. But he admitted he "crossed the line" when he joked some slave "brother" must have had relations with one of Romo's maternal ancestors. "Certainly, in this case I crossed the line," he said. "I need to learn how to better draw the line between bringing people into the locker room and the boundaries I should not go past as a broadcaster."

David Whitley of the Orlando Sentinel pointed to a possible double-standard in his column. White sportscaster Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder was canned by CBS in 1988 for making similar comments.

But the stylized, Kabuki-style reaction to these media-driven controversies suggests there's hypocrisy to go around. Some critics screaming for Irvin's head are driven more by jealousy or animosity for a TV personality they don't like. It's also frighteningly easy to screw up on live TV/radio.

What Irvin needed was for an ESPN colleague such as Tom Jackson— who was not on The Dan Patrick Show with Irvin — to stop him from firmly planting his foot in his mouth.

Of course, when Jackson asked Irvin, "Are you retarded?" as he did on-air this year, he was criticized.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I really can't deign to give much of a shit about Michael Irvin.

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Start working them corners, bra.

And Bubbler, I believe the big guy was referring to this writer saying ESPN fired Jason Whitlock.

4. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Jason, I wish that while you were still at the WWL, you just went up and sucker-punched Irvin in the mouth. Irvin is one of the chief reasons why I've watched less and less of ESPN over the last few years. I thought the new guy in charge was supposed to be clearing house of assholes and fucktards like him.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I re-phrase then, I can't deign to give much of a shit about the whole issue.

6. Has there ever been a writer tucked this comfortably in a source's hip pocket?

I'm embarrassed for McCarthy and USA Today. Just call McCarthy's column ESPN Today.

7. Yeah, whatever.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, I can't respond to his comments about the firings at ESPN, except to say that leaving out the reason for Reynolds' dismissal stuck out and left a big hole in the story.

Jason, I'm curious to see what you have to say about his explanation of your departure from ESPN.

His apologetic support of Irvin, however, is a joke. The only reason it isn't hypocritical for ESPN to keep Irvin after saying something exactly as bad as what Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder once said is they were employed by different networks.

The best part is the comment about how easy it is to screw up on live air. That's part of the job, to not screw up live, at least not to say anything that will embarrass your employers.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, I agree with you on one. Even without any inside knowledge of these situations, I read it the same way.

10. I'm not referring to the thing about me getting fired. I did get fired. Big deal.

I'm talking about McCarthy rationalizing Irvin's behavior and suggesting that Irvin have a babysitter for all live interviews. He excused the whole thing and pretty much said, "well, you can't expect this idiot to act properly. He needs a babysitter."

This corner is getting worked.

11. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I misread, I'm sorry; I thought for a sec you had left, and that's what you were disagreeing with.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Irvin's sustained presence does the cause of diversity no good.

Now, the cause of clownish obtuseness, yes . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted