1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you happy with your cell phone provider?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Oct 7, 2010.

?

Whose service do you use?

1. AT&T

17 vote(s)
    27.4%
  2. Verizon

23 vote(s)
    37.1%
  3. Sprint

8 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. T-Mobile

8 vote(s)
    12.9%
  5. U.S. Cellular

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Cricket

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. Other

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Switched my wife from Sprint (plain phone) so she could text and surf. Best deal out there is Virgin (you prepay) which gives you phone (limited minutes) and unlimited texting for $25/mo. Amazing. She does not venture far so coverage is not a problem and you do pay for the phone up front ($150 I think) but over a year we save big. (Sprint was $40 per mo. for pure phone and limited minutes).

Wanted to try Metro PCS and their clerks were unbelievably awful, simply bad attitude. Virgin is in the Sprint store so customer service was nice.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I've been using Verizon for about seven years now. I can't say I've ever had a problem with my phones or service.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

They also use the Sprint towers as well (but you probably know that).

Haven't had a problem with Sprint here in more than two years.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

AT&T, but not by choice. We had Verizon and were happy, but when we moved out here two years ago Verizon wasn't an option. I think my problem with AT&T has been my crappy Samsung phone, not AT&T itself.
    I saw a Nokia tonight at Costco. Haven't checked out phones for a while, are Nokias any good? Seems like they didn't have the best of reputations in the past, but it's been quite a while since I checked.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've been with T-mobile for about nine years now, and the thing I've always liked about them is I never get a surprise with my bill. when I started with them, they had a 3000-minute plan that was cheaper than anything else i could find. It stayed that way until about two years ago. Now, I'm out from under contract with them. We have two lines that cost us $130 a month, and I've all but decided to go with Virgin Mobile pay as you go plan, where I can get sufficient minutes and unlimited text and web for half the monthly cost. I'd have to buy two new phones, but that'd be offset by the savings in 2-3 months.

Before I pull the trigger, though, I'd love to hear from someone else who has used Virgin Mobile. How's the coverage? Are there any gotchas? What are the general impressions?

6. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

T-Mobile. The customer service is good, and the plan prices are favorable. However, the actual network here in Idaho is awful. I'm always dropping calls or losing signal. The phone selection outside of Blackberries are awful. And no matter what kind of phone I've used in the six years since we started using T-Mobile, the sound is literally transmitted through mud.

When my contract is up next year, I'm hoping the iPhone will be out on Verizon. Regardless, I'm going with Verizon. Work phones are HTC on Verizon. Sound is crystal clear, and I've never dropped a call. The only lousy thing about the phone is that Lee required us to have Windows Mobile. Ugh.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I use AT&T for the phone and Verizon for the wireless service I happen to be using right now.

8. me too. We got the smarttalk phone from walmart. Phone was the best they had at the time . . . $100 dollars. It is a slide phone with keyboard for texting, has internet service which is good for checking email and facebook, but not for full web surfing, and we get 1000 minutes and 1000 texts and more internet than we will ever use for 30 bucks a month. If you wanted to go unlimited, it is just 45 a month. And no contract. Customer service is total crap, but I haven't really ever had to call them.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

And they're owned by Sprint.

I don't have anything for or against my provider. There are only two choices where i live, Verizon and Alltel, with AT&T taking over the Alltel territory. No Sprint or T-Mobile stores.

You go with the phone and then see if the phone works well in your area. Other than that, customer service is all about chance these days with cell phone companies.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

I'm with Sprint and am paying $60 a month ($75 after taxes and fees and $7 for optional insurance) a month for 500 anytime minutes, nights that start at 7, unlimited mobile to mobile (on any network, not just Sprint), unlimited texting, unlimited Internet and GPS.
    Without insurance, it'd be $68.
    I love Sprint.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I was happy with U.S. Cellular but because of circumstances I switched to Cricket. Cut my bill from about $65 to 40 and have unlimited minutes, texting and internet. But the coverage is lousy. I hate making calls and having a Verizon operator recording come up as though I've made a call with a phone that's not hooked up to a plan.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

My plan is roughly $65, but that's before taxes and insurance. It ends up being about $88 after that. Worth it to me, but your mileage (and budget) may vary.

The opposite seems to be true with U.S. Cellular. I updated the software on my Blackberry last night and then found I couldn't lock the phone today after I pocket dialed my mom twice. The morons at the local store didn't know anything about the phone and the website was a steaming pile of crap. But when you call customer support, you don't have to navagate through 16 menu options before you get a human being who knows how to help.

Draft saved Draft deleted