1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you fidgety?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Feb 19, 2008.

1. This is embarrassing, but I'm a fidgeter. :-[ I'm like a 4-year-old. I play with my pen. I play with the buttons on my shirt. I bounce my leg around under the table. I can't keep my hands away from my face. I'm always dropping things because of it, etc., etc.

I used to be a smoker, and I don't know if I smoked because I fidget or I fidget because I smoked. Doesn't matter. I'd like to stop because it's probably distracting for other people to watch and it's annoying for me.

I don't know if I have OCD or maybe ADD, but I'm not otherwise depressed or anything. Just can't stop moving around and messing with things.

I'm sure quitting caffeine might be a good first step, but I was wondering if there were any other chronic fidgeters on the board who can commisserate.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Being fidgety takes energy. I'm too lazy to fidget.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I've cut way down on my caffeine intake, but I still fidget: Tapping my fingers on tables, absent-mindedly flipping my cellphone or tape recorder, tapping pens, the leg bounce, the whole nine yards. I can't buy those pens whose points click out, because I'll click 'em 100 times a minute without even knowing what I'm doing.

I've never really had any complaints at work, but it's driven every woman I've ever lived with up the wall.

I don't have any idea if there's a way -- short of medication -- to control fidgeting. But good luck.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If I said no, Ms. Slappy would shoot me..

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Caffeine's a big part of it, at least for me. I fidget anyway -- the tapping of the foot always drove my mom up the wall when I was a kid -- but I fidget more when I'm wired.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Definite fidgeter here-I'm a chronic leg tapper.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I only fidget on Mondays and Tuesdays.

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I'm not a fidgeter, however, I do chew on the ends of pens.
    Is that in the same class?

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

For sure, I fidget.

Actually, that's not true. I bounce around like a super ball.

10. Absolutely.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh man, I can not sit still. Whether it's leg tapping, knuckle cracking, neck cracking, whatever. I fidget. It's not really being nervous or anything. I just seem to always have to be doing something, unless I'm concentrating on doing nothing. I have to go outside at least once a day unless I'm realllllllllllllly sick, and that rarely happens. Even then, by day two I'm going stir crazy.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Y'all would drive me absolutely nuts. Stop moving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Draft saved Draft deleted