1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you ashamed of the biased presidential coverage?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Paper Dragon, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, he doesn't. He seems to believe whatever whackjob, wingnut chain e-mail his mouth-breathing buddies forward to him.

2. Did you say something about right-wing nutjobs?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm actually more ashamed of some of the things posted on this thread than I could ever be about the media coverage of this campaign.

Honestly, I don't care about the media coverage of the campaign because I decided from the start that I would like to see President Barack Obama and therefore paid little attention to the bullshit that's been going on for the last 18 months.

And as soon as someone defines for me exactly what role Bill Ayers has had in Obama's presidential campaign, I'll take a look at Obama's terrorist ties.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/racial_incident_rattles_george.html
    And we haven't heard from anyone but the Secret Service, who found the students responsible.
    And using the phrase "exercise fair play" with hanging someone in effigy, particularly an act used to intimidate black people, is disgusting to me.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It came from a DailyKos Diary that has since been deleted.

What conservatives don't understand is anyone can write a diary on that site. You just sign up, jot some shit down and it's up there for all to see. I wouldn't exactly call the Palin-Tri diary a conspiracy though. It was just some merry prankster looking to stir shit up. How do I know this? I frequent an Internet forum where the original poster of the diary formulated his plan of attack.

6. Serious question, boston, not meant to incite.
    Would your cousins and friends have wanted you to do that?

7. And I'm sure there are other instances.

But I'm confused! Where are the Black Panthers and Jesse Jackson and all of the angry black people and Muslims and William Ayers and Osama bin Laden crying for blood?

Re: the bold, you and me both. As disgusting as the stunt that idiot Ashley Todd pulled.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And when I think of media coverage of Sarah Palin, I kind of think her supporters want to have it both ways. They want the media to cover her like a mom from Alaska, but they want the people to respect her like a national leader.
    Remember, Nixon, Quayle, Ferraro, Agnew, George Romney and Eagleton, all took much more heat than Palin has. I think people are confusing attacks on McCain's selection of her, with criticism of Palin herself.

9. No shit?
    Thanks for the input.

10. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I just wanted Charlie Gibson, Katie Couric, the New York Times, etc., to treat Obama the same way they have McCain and Palin. There's been an obvious difference in election coverage. And I think the mainstream media have spent more time believing what Obama says and spent not enough time doing their own reporting to find answers.

And for the record, I no longer support the Republicans nor Democrats. At this point, I think my cats would be better candidates for president.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What would you have the Gibsons and Courics of the world do, Quagmire? Obama and Biden aren't the ones declining every interview and bashing/blaming the press every time something negative (like the Ayers or Wright stories) appears in the media?

If your job is to cover two campaigns and one of them is blasting the media on every perceived slight, real or imagined, what can anybody possibly do to make the coverage appear "equal"?

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The people at my shop -- copy desk, news side reporting staff -- plan to pop a bottle of champagne to celebrate Obama's election. I pointed out this might not be intelligent, and they said: "Oh, don't worry. We will only have one bottle and share it. We promise we won't get drunk."

Draft saved Draft deleted