1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You Annoyed By Retweets?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, May 8, 2012.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

You can follow a person and block their retweets.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I honestly signed up for Twitter five days ago. It took me about three days to get tired of retweets because of one individual. He's a writer at another paper that I followed for scoring updates which was good. But he retweets EVERYTHING it seems like. As Evil pointed out, if I cared what the the King of Swaziland had to say, I'd follow him on my own.

I'm also rapidly sick of useless tweets from people. You don't have to congratulate Josh Hamilton. He doesn't follow you.

3. I think I am annoyed by all things Twitter.
    I signed up a few weeks ago and I find the whole thing pretty annoying and meaningless.

I wanted to use my account to report breaking news. I follow a lot of reporters and news sites. I don't really feel like I am gaining anything useful.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you find the right mix of those to follow Twitter can be a very enjoyable source of information. You have to be quick with the delete button to cut out those that wastes your time.

I dumped Jay Glazer pretty quickly because of his endless MMA promotions.

I like following Keith Olberman because it's fun to tweak him. He must read everything because he actually responds.

I like Twitter best when I'm standing in a line somewhere. It's a good quick read to pass the time.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I feel the same way.

I stopped following many of the guys who cover the Blue Jays because they were all Tweeting the same thing at the same time: the lineup the minute it goes up, the most minute thing Farrell says in his pregame ("Farrell says Johnson will continue to leadoff"), anything remotely interesting that happens in the game etc.. But there was little in the way of solid news or stuff I couldn't get elsewhere.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There's too much live Tweeting going on, Huggy. Too many empty quotes. The problem is, one person on the beat does it, and the rest of the people feel like they have to do it the same way to keep up. Hate it. I hate Tweeting quotes anyway because of the limited space and how it takes away any sense of context. These things aren't said in a vacuum.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Someone should relay this advice to doodah.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I stopped following obsessive re-tweeters and those who live blog. Posting lineups is pushing it.

9. You follow Doodah?

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Rovell acts like he invented twitter. I got sick of incessant tweets about what he was eating.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yep. His posts here weren't an act. He does the same shtick on Twitter.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Really? Lineup tweets are something I look for the most. From my days covering baseball, I think there is a huge fan interest in lineups.

Draft saved Draft deleted